Fitted overdrive trans and need to find a starter motor to fit.

-

Headintheclouds

Reaction score
I have finally found time to swap out my 727 trans behind a Poly 318 for a 42RH. I had hoped I could still use the original starter motor but it's way out.

Please can someone suggest what will fit? As I'm buying new I would prefer to go for a mini starter if possible.

If I remember right, a 42RH is also known as an A500. Your original starter should have bolted right back in the same place. That's strange that it wouldn't! You should look for a starter from a Dodge Dakota that is the same year as your 42RH, or a Dodge B series van of the same vintage. When I want to buy a mini starter at an auto parts store, I ask for one that fits a 92 Dodge B200 van. Hope this helps. If you can, post a pic of where the bellhousing area of your 42RH and maybe someone here can offer suggestions.

I was hoping the same. I haven't tried to fit it myself as yet but the shop that has done the welding offered it up just now and thought there was an issue. They sent a picture

A500 starter.jpg

Not to get too far off track, but how did you rectify the crank flange/convertor nose issue? Custom convertor, or have the crank bored?

None of the above. On my Canadian 318 Poly the converter goes straight in. I just got the flex plate for the A500 and it bolted up beautifully.

Looking at your picture again, compared to my 273 on my engine stand, they need to look and make sure the bellhousing is lined up right. I don’t see how it would fit cockeyed and the converter hub not hit something, but they have the bottom bolt by the starter location in the wrong hole. The dowel pin goes in the 2nd hole up and the motor to bellhousing bolt goes in the bottom hole.

I'm told that it's the casting on the bottom of the engine that is fouling. The cover plate bolts up in the right place and is level. I believe a small amount of surgery is required to the ear on the block. If anyone can supply a similar picture of the same area on another car with A500 / 904 it would be useful for comparison.

Looking at your picture again, compared to my 273 on my engine stand, they need to look and make sure the bellhousing is lined up right. I don’t see how it would fit cockeyed and the converter hub not hit something, but they have the bottom bolt by the starter location in the wrong hole. The dowel pin goes in the 2nd hole up and the motor to bellhousing bolt goes in the bottom hole.
Like this:
009-top-starter-bolt-location.jpg

My picture didn't tell the whole story. this block has 3 holes. I think that's the issue.

The slightly earlier 318 Poly that was mated to a cast iron Torqueflite had a smaller recess in the rear of the crank. I lucked out with this one. As above, I think it is a '67 model but the '66 with aluminium 727 would have had the same crank.

starter 2.jpg

Very useful picture thank you, Professor. If it's easy to take another a bit wider angle I would like to see any other bolt holes above to compare.

Looks like a little time with a cutoff wheel in a die grinder can remedy that in a few minutes! Hopefully, the extra labor will be little and will keep you from having to buy a starter.

Very useful picture thank you, Professor. If it's easy to take another a bit wider angle I would like to see any other bolt holes above to compare.
It might be a while until I can get a different pic. If nobody else comes up with one, maybe later today.

Getting way off subject, I see you’re a lot farther along on getting that 42RH you got from me mated and installed, especially since we in the UK right now at Heathrow!

Getting way off subject, I see you’re a lot farther along on getting that 42RH you got from me mated and installed, especially since we in the UK right now at Heathrow!
PM sent. I hope to have the car roadworthy by the end of the month. Then the fun begins tuning the automatic switching of overdrive and lockup!

I just took my first open road trip with my new RH42 behind an LA 318. Your gonna love it! I just hooked both the overdrive and the lock-up torques converter to a pair of switches. Out on the interstate, 70 mph 3rd gear 2300 rpm, hit OD - 1900 rpm, hit lock up - 1750 Rpm.

Nice! Really looking forward to testing it and getting a good automatic switching system working.

-
Back