Fixin ta be 1200? poorer

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Been chomping the bit about heads.

The engine is a stock roller LA shortblock with an Oregon regrind "about" a XE268 copy cam

Didn't want to get into a bunch of machine work

Was going to use my old J heads, and in fact they are "almost" ready to go on.

So, 'ell!!! LOL. Called up Brian today at IMM, and I think I'm gonna spring for some EQ LA pattern heads and be done wi'd 'er

Probably a very smart decision.

I'm not sure I'm buying the part about'done wi'd er' ! Sounds like a great use for 1200 bones tho..

If you send me the $1200, I'll just keep it and that will save you even more work...LOL.

'Spect you will be happy with the decision...X-mas comes early!

Been chomping the bit about heads.

The engine is a stock roller LA shortblock with an Oregon regrind "about" a EX268 copy cam

Didn't want to get into a bunch of machine work

Was going to use my old J heads, and in fact they are "almost" ready to go on.

So, 'ell!!! LOL. Called up Brian today at IMM, and I think I'm gonna spring for some EQ LA pattern heads and be done wi'd 'er

I call it a great move,Del... Assembled out of the box E.Q. castings( myself..),with good hardware & valve train.Ended up within 150 of Brian's price...

its only money:

ask yourself .....would I rather have:

A. Money that is in reality just paper with pictures of old dudes on it and has a funny smell and may have been in someone's butt crack as soon as a few hours before you got it.

OR

B. A badass car that is set up to be your dream car and then some that will be around for years because you didn't cheap out and went with only the best hardware and poured your heart and soul into. A car that you can really be proud of.

Hmmmmm

Possible Answer: We are an elite few who get to live the car dream so might as well go for the ghusto while you can because memories and something you can be proud of is worth more than any dollar amount.

Seriously, I doubt you will regret that......I am in the same boat because I am broke this month already because I sprang for a 4 speed for my wagon.....didn't go cheap either, got a real nice 1969 833 that is pretty much ready to bolt in.

Go for it !!!!

Well I think (from what I've read, mostly here) that this will "do" it. I did not want to spend a bunch on pistons, decking, milling heads and other machine work.

This will allow me to "bolt on" and bump the compression on the LA roller I have with no extra work, I'm getting the LA pattern so my intakes will work, and "if I'm lucky" can even use stock roller pushrods, but that is fairly minor.

What rockers are you gonna use? It would benefit you greatly to use the 273 adjustables.

I got some bare EQ's with LA pattern from Eric Haugland the EQ importer in Las Vegas. He gave me a good deal after that crook Ben Gorman of "Promax" in Indianopolis sold me a set of Chinese knockoffs that he said were EQ's (& I got the pics/paperwork to prove it). These look nice some real real nice pieces. that pushrod wall protrusion is the area that I would want to address as it is a significant blockage. Eric is an easy to deal with guy too. RR

What rockers are you gonna use? It would benefit you greatly to use the 273 adjustables.

That's the downside, Rusty. These are mag based heads, so stud rockers. I talked to Brian. I'm thinking keep the valve gear "close to stock."

Yeah, I would like to keep shaft rockers, but I don't know of a comparable head in this price range? The heads out the door are close to a grand, plus rockers, studs, etc. and shipping.

You can get them either mag or LA intake, and of course I'm going LA intake.

Crane makes an affordable stud kit and you can use the Chevy rocker arm.

Get a set of stock Magnum rockers-best bang for your buck by far. Light, stable and very strong for your needs. J.Rob

Get a set of stock Magnum rockers-best bang for your buck by far.
Something tells me that they are either NS1 or will be very soon. I got a set earlier this year from the local Chrysler dealer for iirc $11 & change per set (X eight) which is a VG price. I'm a mag newbie also but I'm thinking those studs/chebby rockers are the way to go for a solid lifter/circle track app. FYI there is plenty of meat in the bosses to go to the 3/8 studs

This it?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-36655-16

Wonder if Brian could tap the heads for 3/8 instead. I was not aware of this little glitch.

Yup, das it.

You'll never need 3/8. Don't let that hang you up. I have that set on Robkat motor and I am going to run a similar set on the Ford 400 I have built. As long as you don't go BIG solid flat tappet, or roller with big spring pressure, you'll be fine. The stock bolts held up fine and the Crane kit uses harder studs than that.

Well I was pretty close on price, with shipping, and Brian had a good set of used OEM rockers. What you guys recommend for "Magnum" head bolts?

Well ALL RIGHTY then!!! Just now "got in" out of the cold, the dark, the ice, the snow, and got the NEW HEADS put away in the garage!!!

Attachments

• ups.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 210
Well ALL RIGHTY then!!! Just now "got in" out of the cold, the dark, the ice, the snow, and got the NEW HEADS put away in the garage!!!

congratulations on your new heads . you just instantly became 10 years younger.:burnout:

LOL, don't know about THAT but it seemed like an easy way to "pump it up" a little bit. I had intended to use my old J heads.

They are probably already nice and warm from the fondling they are getting. :D

Del you will like these they are a good cylinder head for a mild build app and they breath well. I use the crane rocker stud set up with the Gold 1.6 rollers, bowls have been done and im running the Mopar performance stainless steel 192-162 valves, comp 268 solid, The 318 spins to 6 k with ease.Just purchased the RPM air gap and will be trying that soon as im using the performer which has been port matched to suit the larger intake ports on the head.

-
Back