Fixing door sag. with frame rail connectors?

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
My 66 cuda has a very slight door sag, so slight in fact that you can't see it. I just notice it because when I set my F.A> in the car the door doesn't close properly unless I slam it.

I was looking at seymour_scamps frame connectors and getting ready to order a set thinking it would fix my problem if properly installed. If I support the car under the frame on jack stands the problem is not present. Will this work or not?

OPINIONS?

TIA Vern

X3 above, but may just be the uppers. I had a slight sag on my Duster and had a new hinge on the bottom, pull the top replaced the bushing and pin and no more sag.

How fat is your arse? Connectors are a very good mod to do. Will not hurt and will only help to have them. I would do them and also check them door hinges while your at it.

Vern I think your thinking is right on. I would also check the spot welds along the door lines at the rocker boxes. Often these welds will separate allowing the door line to sag. use a screwdriver and pry along the rocker by the weep holes to see if any welds are cracked. If you use the bolt on frame connectors you can actually use them to pull out any sagging by shorting the front (crossmember) end of the connector slightly and use a combination of washers to get the fit just right. This works on either side of the car as usually the drivers side sags more than the passenger side. This will make more sense as you do it. Dan

The guy I got the car from was about 340 but I think he didn't drive the car much in that condition, he could barely move. I'm 6'3" and right around 260 but I can fool those weight guessers at the carnival because I carry it well.

You can buy a set of connectors or if you got even just a little skill and a grinder you could make your own for dirt cheap. Weld in is the way to go and will do the most good. Do a search here for 'frame connectors' and you will come up with a bunch of good info on them.

To check the hinge, open the door about half way pull up and down on the door handle watching the upper hinge. If it's the hinge, you'll see it moving when you move the door. But then again, the idea about checking the welds wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I took a look and did see a little cracking in the welds below the door sill, see picture. Frame connectors are on order and I'll redo the welds when I start the body work. The door hinges are solid as a rock.

Attachments

• cracks.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 192
If I support the car under the frame on jack stands the problem is not present. Will this work or not?

When you install your frame connectors, make sure that you are supporting the car by the wheels or suspension. We did mine on a drive on rack. You don't want your suspension hanging down when you're welding everything solid.

There are cars that aren't structuraly solid. Some more than others.
Subframe connectors will help.

-
Back