Fixing (the hated Olds) window motor

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
This has been in my craw for awhile. I finally found a video on YouTube that gave me "ideas"--he cut some access around the motor in the door tin, thus nixing the requirement to remove the whole regulator, a tedious crappy job

So thas' what I did

Uh.........thats weird can't upload photos..........

Well we'll do it from photobucket.......

Cut around the motor at the door tinwork, drilled out three rivets and pulled the motor out

doorcs_zps2oxsi0ta.jpg

The POS motor with the rear plastic cover removed, which is also the brush holder and connector for wiring

IMG_0262cs_zpsbirq7i4h.jpg

Motor with new wires soldered to brushes. The dark colored strip is some sort of thermal breaker WHICH WAS TRIPPING INTERMITTENTLY The wires have been soldered to the brush holders, bypassing the wiring connector and the breaker

IMG_0264cs_zpsfdedo0gl.jpg

Drilled holes in the plastic and ran the wires directly out

IMG_0265cs_zpsn0u6k0dp.jpg

Drilled two more holes for stiff wire to insert in front of the brushes, hold them in for install

IMG_0266cs_zpsl52nkopa.jpg

The POS all back together. GM should hang their heads in shame. There is a lot of chatter on the www about how bad these are

IMG_0267cs_zps0jmshyvs.jpg

Back in the door, sheet metal screws replacing the rivets. Tested it up and down several times. Works perfect Tomorrow I'll get the door panel back on, and "done"

IMG_0269cs_zpsefx0tnfl.jpg

Last edited:
They ware never "well known" for their good "interior stuff".

I betcha it works now LOL. When I tore it down I had intentions of putting the left rear door motor into the drivers door if it'd fit. I have not torn that door down, and after trying this.....assuming it holds up say, through the winter.....I won't be.

A pita,Del.(lol..) Oldsmobile, did a run of windowed 403 engine blocks,in the late 70's .... Boy,I read get that done wrong,lol..

Cars are not built to last for the reason to make us buy more.
Yabut some of 'em are "built not to last" a lot better (worse) 'n others.

Today I got the neighbor's Neon back together. He had me finding some electrical issues, and the thing leaked and the carpets were wet. Got that all back together, and got the "Hated Olds" back together as well. So far, the window seems to work just fine.

The girls at Carl's Jr will be surprised LOL

Last edited:
Sure does make the drive through easier when you roll down the window instead of opening the door.

-
Back