Flaming River Box and pitman arm issue

-

Emeraldart

Reaction score
Greetings once again,

Purchased the flaming river 16:1 manual box and have it bolted to the K-member of my 71 Demon.

I have tried installing a new DLZ brand p/n K7074 pitman arm but it is too tight and will not go on far enough...aprx 3/8 inch short of being flush...super tight to wrench it up to that spot...did not use impact gun as I sensed it was going on far too tight.

On a side note, when I made the purchase I thought I was getting a Moog brand pitman arm, but as I found out afterwards this part is made in China and "may not" be built to the same tolerance and therefore it "may" be the reason for the installation problem I am experiencing.

I removed the pitman arm to inspect the splines on the steering box.(see photo)
It was installed correctly as in aligning the wide and narrow spline grooves.

The steering box splines appear to be fine, however there is some galling on the pitman arm groves that would tell me the match up is less than perfect.

Can anyone shed any light on this!

Thanks in advance James

I am going to order a Moog brand pitman arm and see if it will go on any easier...

Attachments

• P1010519.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 206
The pitman arm is for 67-72 a body which is supposed to be the correct one for that after market steering box...Moog crossover number K7074...direct bolt in

-
Back