Flathead Motors

-
Not having to do a valve job on the engine block.
Plus an OHV valve motor is much more efficient than a flat head.

I do like the flat head in my old jeep, tractor like simplicity.

1001706f.jpg

Do you all think back in the 50's OHV was a big selling point for automakers?
OHV was a selling point as early as 1913. Buick advertised it saying “The Buick overhead valve motor is guaranteed to develop more power and give more mileage per gallon of gasoline than any other motor of its size, either American or foreign make.”

AAEB3E2D-5618-4121-BADF-50E3C906CC8D.jpeg

Ford advertised it in the 50s saying “The new low-friction overhead valve engine cuts friction, reduces ‘power waste’ and saves gas.”

9FD026F0-CBE2-4E6B-9E83-83F67C484D9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Ford's "lower-friction" V8 engine wasn't a result of the over head valve architecture, it came from the discontinued use of the double oil rings on the pistons, less rings riding up and down on the cylinder walls made for less drag.

They do start easy, I have the compression bumped up on mine, it is super easy to start even after sitting weeks at a time.
View attachment 1715227686 Yep flat heads are simple. My 29 ford AA truck motor, they keep running and start easy.
No power but fun to drive.

You can bump up the power, EGGE still made me some high compression pistons for the Willys flat head at .080 over.
It adds some more go-power to the Willys, I opened mine up one time holding a GPS I and earth shattering 54 mph at red-line, which is not too bad since I have no overdrive.
The main issue is brakes, the stock 9" drums are almost suicide in todays traffic.

Or why not a combo? I just built a 1965 F head for a old jeep. It has 4 over head Intake valves while having 4 exhaust valves in the block like a flat head.

Ford's "lower-friction" V8 engine wasn't a result of the over head valve architecture, it came from the discontinued use of the double oil rings on the pistons, less rings riding up and down on the cylinder walls made for less drag.
I understand, but they made a big point of emphasizing the overhead valve architecture as a part of it and the OP’s original question was whether it was used as a selling point.

It was.

I understand, but they made a big point of emphasizing the overhead valve architecture as a part of it and the OP’s original question was whether it was used as a selling point.

It was.

Exactly. Hell yeah it was used as a selling point. Everything "new" they've ever come out with has been.

They do start easy, I have the compression bumped up on mine, it is super easy to start even after sitting weeks at a time.

You can bump up the power, EGGE still made me some high compression pistons for the Willys flat head at .080 over.
It adds some more go-power to the Willys, I opened mine up one time holding a GPS I and earth shattering 54 mph at red-line, which is not too bad since I have no overdrive.
The main issue is brakes, the stock 9" drums are almost suicide in todays traffic.
My 29 truck is a 1.5 ton and I have over drive and not sure how fast it will go I had it up to 30 and hit a bump and almost hit my head on the roof.

After the first time I drove mine, I put seatbelts in it.

-
Back