Flip Top restore help please

-

brewil

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have an R/T flip top gas cap but I'd like to get it re-chromed and clean it up.

How do I get the pins out to separate the cap from the base and the clip from the base?

Thanks,

Brett

Hi, I tried that, I found it easier to buy a repo for the $100 bucks or so...
But, the roll pin needs to be knocked out to separate the "cap" part, then (Im not sure is this is possible) you need to somehow remove the "plunger" part ...I think that part is pressed together? It looked to me it would be destroyed trying to remove the plunger? Maybe someone else has a thought on this.

You would think if it was assembled, somehow it's got to be able to be disassembled. I'm looking at one that came out of a 67 GTX and it appears that if one carefully drilled the roll pins holding the cap to the base and the little spring-loaded clip without going all the way through, everything could be separated. That's on the one I'm holding
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dartman,,,yes for sure, punch out the roll pin,,,,,but whats the plan for the plunger on the back of the cap? They cant chrome it with that still on. That is the trick...removal of the plunger...looks pressed together from what I can tell. Yup went together so can come apart.....but will it come apart with out being destroyed?

Mine looks like the spring is pressed in place. I didn't try to pry it out but see that it will rotate within the recess. So I'm guessing it's a really tight fit.

Plunger? do you mean the plunger with the big spring on the base? It has a hole. Pop a driver though the hole and unscrew. Done that already. I'm just buggered how I'm going to disassemble and get those pins out

Maybe I'll jut sell mine, it's an Aussie R/T flip cap

Sell it and buy a repro one

Plunger? do you mean the plunger with the big spring on the base? It has a hole. Pop a driver though the hole and unscrew. Done that already. I'm just buggered how I'm going to disassemble and get those pins out

Drill the roll pins out and when time to assemble, drive new ones in!

-
Back