flooded 360 crate engine

-

70dart360Mopar

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I had a carb malfunction which I now have reliazed the problem and needs to be rebuilt. Due to the time crunch to have this car running properly I ordered a new identical carb. It is a new drive train (about5k miles) with a 360 crate motor 600 cfm qft slayer quick fuel series carb. I am getting ready to install the new one. I am trying to be precautious in terms not to damage the engine due to improper lubrication. While we were trying to figure out the existing problem with the carb the engine had become flooded. I have replaced the spark plugs since they were in need of a new set. The other question that I have is when taking out the dip stick I could smell the gas in the oil (there seemed to still be good viscosity) Before putting on the new carb which should hopefully fix my issue should I drain the oil and replace filter and as well once the carb is mounted and engine has run abit should I then change it again to minimize any remaining gas. I want to protect the engine as much as possible since this is a new crate motor and drive train. Any suggestions it is greatly appreciated.

Change the oil and filter and any residual fuel will be so small of an amount it won't matter.
You might pull the plugs and do a quick shot of oil in each cylinder and spin it with the starter.
Then put the plugs in and fire it.

if you're going to squirt oil in the cylinders, I use 2cycle oil, which is made to burn.
I know it's too late for you now, but for others I would discourage using a new (unknown, unproven) carb on a new engine, for just this reason.

-
Back