Fluid Capacity Specs for 225 Slant?

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
Feel kind of silly about asking this, but I'm bringing my 72 Dart with a 225 slant and TorqueFlite 904 tranny into my auto shop for a few things, including changing out the dirty, nasty fluids. I've been trying to find the answer around the forums and in my Haynes service manual, but no such luck. Are there any 'general' rules or actual specs for the fluids? And on that note, any specifications for the drain bolts on the transmission and oil pan? Maybe care to share what you guys do? The oil and transmission fluid are most important (oil change and changing tranny pan gasket). Thanks in advance!

Oh geeze, I didn't even notice that. Feel silly now, but thanks for telling me. I guess the question now are torque specifications. Found the torque specs too. Thanks for opening my eyes, haha!

There are better fluids today. I use ATF+4 for tranny and power steering, but Type F is good in the tranny too. Oil and filters start endless arguments. I changed my non-ABS cars to DOT 5 brake fluid. I am slowly changing all to Evans Waterless Coolant.

Bill, I have never heard of using Type F in a Mopar trannie ....are you sure that will work OK and not cause problems? (And I am not any ATF expert at all so that is why I ask.) I have heard of using Type F in GM trannies designed for Dexron to get hard shifts but it would harm the seals after a while. Since earlier Mopar used Dexron, I would have similar concerns.

I ran Type F in my previous build and been running it for 2 years in my latest build with no ill effects. Others in our group have been running longer, one has race transmission with manual valve body and all the goodies. Dennis

Mopar Action suggested type F in an article 20 years ago or so, I remember they stated it is heavier. so better.

now if I could just remember what I had for breakfast this morning!??

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I may need to refund the ATF my teacher asked me to get from Napa...he asked me what fluid to get and I recalled seeing people use ATF +4, but told me that it wasn't around when my car was around, so I got the order for the Napa-brand ATF +3, compatible with Dexron. Reading a few articles on Allpar and on other forums has got me thinking why I should ask for some other stuff. Going to do the gasket pan tomorrow in the morning.

Almost any tranny fluid will work in our transmissions. Type F has more friction, which gives faster firmer shifts. That is good to minimize wear of the clutch plates and better performance. Some say F means "friction", others say "Ford". Manufacturers designed slow, slippy shifts, which feel smoother and are what naive consumers think is good. When rebuilding a tranny, smart to install a "shift kit" for firmer shifts and undo the factory's design. Some will even jar your teeth, but intended for race only.

I use ATF+4 because it is better quality. Most or all brands are fully synthetic. Autozone's used to say that. ATF+3 is similar (earlier), but not like Dexron. My 1996 minivan has a 3-spd "torqueflite" tranny, very similar inside to my 60's cars. It specs ATF+3, so should be fine also in my 60's trannys. Many 4-spd trannys in the V-6 minivans were ruined by shops putting Dexron in them, which gave Chrysler an undeserved black eye. Actually kind of their fault because a marketing genius had the owner's manual state that if (then new) ATF fluid wasn't available, one could use Dexron in an emergency, so shops thought "OK and cheaper for us". As I understand, Dexron has foaming agents, with the intent of keeping the inner walls of the tranny clean, but it caused Chrysler's lock-up torque converters to shudder and wear.

-
Back