Flywheel Balance?

-

694spd

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this flywheel looks like a neutral balance one or one for an external balance motor?

105_7414.JPG

105_7415.JPG

Is it a 143T wheel? Looks like the ones that I've pulled from 400 4-spd 72-78 Trucks.
1685884587169.jpeg

Have you looked it over very closely for a casting number?

Most all my neutral balanced 10.5 130 tooth flywheels have the scalloped cut. The thing that lets me believe it is a 440 six pack or heavy rod flywheel is the two small balance holes it has drilled completely through as stated on the first page I posted above.

001 (2).jpg

Pretty sure that is too big to fit a passenger car BH.
Have you actually counted the teeth?
No, but I will count the teeth tomorrow to be sure.
Have you looked it over very closely for a casting number?
I have not seen a casting number, but I will double check.
Most all my neutral balanced 10.5 130 tooth flywheels have the scalloped cut. The thing that lets me believe it is a 440 six pack or heavy rod flywheel is the two small balance holes it has drilled completely through as stated on the first page I posted above.

View attachment 1716098207
Thanks for posting the larger picture. I never noticed those extra two drilled thru hoses.

Last edited:
What are those numbers? I don't have any wheels with me. 13.25" dia.=130T and 14.75" dia.=143T. It's something like that.
Casting number will tell you the diameter but not the balance.

Flywheel is 70-2 440 magnum or 6pk. Externally balanced for those engines only. The 2 holes circled in RED is the dead give away.

6-PK HEAVY ROD FLYWHEEL.jpg

View attachment 1716098207
What book is that from? Thank you.

What book is that from? Thank you.

I believe that comes out of the big Chrysler engine book. I have three of them and I know it’s in the two early ones. The earliest I have is 1979 and I try and not fiddle with it much because I wore that thing out.

The other one is from the mid 1980’s IIRC and I had to put that one into a 3 ring binder to keep it together.

The newest one I have is the last one published that I know of.

I know it’s in the first two, probably in the manual transmission section of the book.

-
Back