For all the 273 Naysayers

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
From several weeks ago. Matt Steen, SS/K, 10.68/125.40, '66 Valiant 273/4 barrel car

He's running now at qualifying at Brainard.

1st quaifying round

30. Matthew Steen SS/K 11.30 10.943 -0.357

2nd qualifying round

33. Matt Steen SS/K 11.30 10.884 -0.416

Go 273!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the little engine that could. toolman

Nice looking ride.

Gotta love the little 273. I have lots of fun drivin' mine. Course it's gonna be more fun once the 408 is ready.

Here's Matt's car.

0933-00582E.jpg

Go 273!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the little engine that could. toolman

THX Bought a 65 Dart Gt 273 4bbl, 904, a couple of months back and have been kicking around rebuilding the stock engine or " moving up "; I always liked the idea of staying with the original per fender tag; am now convinced. It may not run like a 340 but " I'll " know.
And apologies for wrong post if anyone noticed re fender tag decode, I still have trouble putting batteries in a flashlite much less pasting the right web link.

So what are the specs of this 273....

Il like it if it runs on pump fuel,which i doubt.
Most of these oldschool motors are capable of something decent
regardless of cubic inches.
Ive seen some pretty fast 250 ci fords here in aus,naturally aspirated,
pump fuel. An ever faster 265 hemi' sixes!

Yep old 283s and 289s as well, all engines can run with enough $$s, you gotta spin em hard, lots of compression and good head work. But mine made good power, but never that much. very impressive!

Yes,i would like to know whats in that 273 lots of $$$$$$$..i'll bet,proving anything can go fast with enough of money thrown at it...

don't think people doubt that the 273 can run when built right. but it is easier to start with more cubes and probably quite a bit cheaper too. i'll stick with my 360's.

We (273 owners) are pretty passionate about our little motors. They don't
make 500 horse or make our cars run in the 9's. They are just fun little engines to drive and are pretty respectable from a horsepower standpoint. Ma Mopar was messing around with small motors in 64 and came up with the LA273. Up till that time all the small cube engines were physically too big to fit under the hood of their new smaller A Bodies. They even had to lay the straight 6 on it's side for it to fit under the low hoods of these new models.
The HP273 version came out in 65 and was needed to compete with the 283 and 289's that the competition had. It's impressive that Mopar would produce a engine with 10.5:1 forged pistons, forged crank, solid lifter cam, shaft mounted adjustible rockers,open plenum 4 barrel intake and carb, dual point distributor, chrome pcv and oil fill caps (borrowed from the 426 Hemi) and black wrinkle finished valve covers with alumunum heat sinks. It even came with a chrome un-silenced air cleaner. I don't think Mopar has ever produced such a deluxe combination of parts for any engine in it's history. That's why I like mine. and I'm sure others would agree. toolmanmike

We (273 owners) are pretty passionate about our little motors. They don't
make 500 horse or make our cars run in the 9's. They are just fun little engines to drive and are pretty respectable from a horsepower standpoint. Ma Mopar was messing around with small motors in 64 and came up with the LA273. Up till that time all the small cube engines were physically too big to fit under the hood of their new smaller A Bodies. They even had to lay the straight 6 on it's side for it to fit under the low hoods of these new models.
The HP273 version came out in 65 and was needed to compete with the 283 and 289's that the competition had. It's impressive that Mopar would produce a engine with 10.5:1 forged pistons, forged crank, solid lifter cam, shaft mounted adjustible rockers,open plenum 4 barrel intake and carb, dual point distributor, chrome pcv and oil fill caps (borrowed from the 426 Hemi) and black wrinkle finished valve covers with alumunum heat sinks. It even came with a chrome un-silenced air cleaner. I don't think Mopar has ever produced such a deluxe combination of parts for any engine in it's history. That's why I like mine. and I'm sure others would agree. toolmanmike

The 273/235hp motors had cast pistons

I always thought that the HP engines had forged pistons. The Mopar service manual describes them as "Autothermic alloy- tin coated". I looked all over the place for info and came up with this that I printed out in '04. I typed in the web address but can't find the post on mindspring.com or Team Starfish's home page. I don't know how accurate this is so I stand corrected. Thanks dart4forte. toolmanmike

-
Back