Forged crank in 69 318???

-

oliver

Reaction score
Cracked open a pretty virgin looking 318 today. Found out that it has a forged crank in her. Does not look to have had the bottom end rebuilt, bearings have 68 date codes, has silent type cam chain, stock bore, and cast pistons. Busted open lots of 318's and this is the first i've seen with a forged crank. number on the crank is 2532457 and the block is 2536030. I thought they stopped putting forged cranks in the 318's in 67 or 68.

MwqQwWT.jpg

iPXQCyQ.jpg

7HYnEK7.jpg

AmWLqRT.jpg

Yup. It's forged as all heck.

lol. well it defies everything i knew about forged cranks in 318's then.

That's not surprising. I got a 77 400 once. It was also a virgin engine. It had a factory steel crank. Dated bearings and all.

Yep,With Chrysler you never say never.......My 72 340 Challenger had a forged steel crank.I too have heard of the 400 engines.Back in the day,as said above, we would look for the junkyard trucks for the 318 forged cranks.

yep, knew that. i was just wondering if that's possible since this is obviously not a truck engine.

Whether it's a truck engine or not has little or no bearing on being forged.........case in point, I got given a 318 out of a D600 truck, cast crank, bearings dated 1971 (year of the truck), I kinda thought that it should have been a forged crank, wasn't , as far as I was concerned NBD. I made that little "TEEN" take me 12.54 down the 1/4 and bumped a 7400 rpm chip more than once.

Rejoice you got a forged crank, a early Christmas present, an unexpected pleasant surprise.

Good luck, have fun!

Well, color me surprised. lol too bad it will need to be bored. its rusted solid at the moment. maybe i'll dingle ball it throw a cheap set of rings in it and throw 10-15lbs of boost at it and see what she does.

well its got floating wrist pins and factory cast pistons. someone left the oil control rails out and that was most likely the demise of the engine. No vin stamped on the machined pad, was assembled august of 1970. engine is odd to me but i thought it would be cool to share.

o9zLGy1.jpg

uHrUABc.jpg

9uZlnhv.jpg

IeqjJfM.jpg

I told this story before about Chrysler. Worked in a Dodge dealership in 76. Got a new Aspen off the transport,,had no oil pressure. Found that the factory only installed the very front and rear cam bearings.What you found doesn't surprise me a bit.

-
Back