Formula "S" question

-
Reaction score
I just picked up a '66 Barracuda Formula "S". Is the "S" package called out on the fender tag and if so, what should I be looking for?

Thnaks
Frank

I too have a 66 Formula S, somethings different over the regular Barracuda (at least on mine) are:
Commando 273 (235 Horse)
10" drum brakes
front sway bar
larger tortion bars - heavy duty suspension
low restriction exhaust with tip
14" wheels/tires

'66 model has a "7" under the "F" for formula S.
All had tachs in the dash. 10's, front stab bar, 5 leaf rear springs (i think) 4bbl commando motor, 64-65's had a letter code under the "C" and it should be a "2" for "S" package.

I have seen a rear stab bar on a non "S", and tachs and stripes and 4bbls. Not hard to clone with options. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the non S torsion bars?

This is a suspension package (as listed above)at least in 67's
it doesn't mean that it has to have the 4 bbl 235 hp engine.
I've parted many 2 bbl 273's that had the "S" package

2nd that. 273 4bbl is in the "S" sales brochure in 65

ALL '66 Formula S's came with a 273 4bbl engine with HP internals, dual point distributor and dress-up trim; front sway bar; 6 leaf HD rear springs; tachometer; 150mph speedometer; low back pressure single exhaust with chromed-tip resonator; 14X 5 1/2 wheels with 6.95/14 blue streak tires; and "S" fender badges. Like it's mentioned above, there will be a 7 under the uppercase F on the fender tag. It will also be on the build sheet if you're lucky enough to find one.

'66 model has a "7" under the "F" for formula S.
All had tachs in the dash. 10's, front stab bar, 5 leaf rear springs (i think) 4bbl commando motor, 64-65's had a letter code under the "C" and it should be a "2" for "S" package.

I have seen a rear stab bar on a non "S", and tachs and stripes and 4bbls. Not hard to clone with options. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the non S torsion bars?

cudamark's info is on the mark (pun intended) but in the quote above, there was NO 64 Formula S cars. 65 formula s also had a variety of configurations on the trunk divider board due to the spare tire being wider. Some had a recess in the wood and a modified piano hinger that was thin in the middle.

Torsion bars were the same at least for 1965. the lower control arme were "tabbed" for the sway bar, obviously.

cudamark's info is on the mark (pun intended) but in the quote above, there was NO 64 Formula S cars. 65 formula s also had a variety of configurations on the trunk divider board due to the spare tire being wider. Some had a recess in the wood and a modified piano hinger that was thin in the middle.

Torsion bars were the same at least for 1965. the lower control arme were "tabbed" for the sway bar, obviously.
The torsion bars were the same diameter between '65 and '66 Formula S's but they changed the part number and therefor the number on the bar. There were no rear sway bars from the factory on an A-body until the 1976 police cars. !0" drum brakes were the standard for all V8 Barracudas in 1966 with a disc brake option on all models. Also it was the first year for the optional 8 3/4 rear. Usually the 4 speed versions got one but I've seen two "S" 4 speed cars with a 7 1/4 sure grip in them and they were unmolested virgin looking cars so who knows.....maybe they ran out on the assembly line that day and threw in the 7 1/4 to keep the line moving. All the "S" options are bolt-on so there really isn't an easy way to tell a clone on those cars except for the fender tag. If it's missing, the only verifiable way is to send the VIN in to Chrysler Historical and get the data right off the IBM card for that car. If the fender tag has been switched with another car, you can tell by seeing if the shipping order number matches the stampings on the body. Naturally, a build sheet will verify all this info but they can be forged also.

My 66 Formula S has the 8 3/4 rear but the original owner said he changed it when the original 7 1/4 bit the dust back in the mid 70's. It was a one legger but I put a limited slip in a couple years ago. I've had this car 23 years and haven't thought about the things that make these little guys different in a long time.

Never say never when it comes to year model correct parts on a Mopar. I had a SG 7 1/4 in my '65 "S" auto. I saw an "S" with a Valiant script on the trunk, ala '64. I have also seen the V rear trunk trim on a '66 and the '66 next to it had the fish trunk trim, both original owners swore they bought them like that off the lot.

Never say never when it comes to year model correct parts on a Mopar. I had a SG 7 1/4 in my '65 "S" auto. I saw an "S" with a Valiant script on the trunk, ala '64. I have also seen the V rear trunk trim on a '66 and the '66 next to it had the fish trunk trim, both original owners swore they bought them like that off the lot.
Except for the Valiant emblem on a '65 Formula S, the others are not uncommon. The '65 probably had the emblem installed at a later date by someone who though it was supposed to be there. There again, in my experience, that was not uncommon either.

-
Back