Formula S Question

-

agarcia5

Reaction score
Hey, how are you all doing? I have a question...hopefully you guys can help me out here. I would like to know the correct paint for the plastic in a '69 barracuda formula s grille (black or gray because i have seen some pictures with both colors). If you know the paint code or name I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Art

Formula S and plain Barracudas would have silver grills. Cuda optioned cars would have black. Black grills have a different part number then the silver grills but Im not sure if they are painted black or actually black plastic ?

Mopar Rallye wheel silver is a close match.

Adam, you may want to switch the Formula & Cuda-optioned cars around. The Formula grilles are black while Cuda-optioned cars and plain Barracudas were natural.

Interesting. All of my past Formulas have had black grilles and my one Cuda 340 car was natural (so I was going off that). I believe I do recall seeing another Cuda car with black grilles.

Here's some bonus info re: black grilled '69s (for those who may not be aware). I ran into a line painter back in the mid-80s and we were talking about the black Formula grilles. He was one of the people that sprayed them. He told me something that I never knew (until then). The egg crate centers (on Formula cars) were painted separately and face down (on risers). What this means is that when you see black grilles painted from the front, they are not correct. The front edges should be natural. I always thought this was interesting.

'68 Formula S and Cuda package cars had black grilles. The color was a semi gloss black.

I`ve read that the high performance 69 Barracudas only had the black grilles. Most A-bodies of the era used a "jewel black" of one gloss or another. High gloss is Ditzler 9000 and low gloss is 9028. HTH.

The plastic molding would be silver right; now what type of silver would it be?? We have the chrome portion, then the grille which would be black, now the plastic molding would be gray/silver/or black?? Anybody know the correct color, name of color or paint code?

Thanks, Art

If it`s the piece I think you`re referring to it should be "argent silver". As Adam said it`s about the same color as the paint formulated for rallye wheels. Mopar Performance sells it in aerosol cans.

-
Back