Found a 1970 Dart Swinger, what's it worth?

-

ramhi4x

Reaction score
I found a local car for sale for $2,000. It's a '70 318, 8 3/4 swinger, stripped but almsot complete. No rot anywhere, just a little superficial rust here and there. The trunk, inside cab, and engine compartment have been repainted plum crazy. All the trim and chrome are in great condition, no windshield or front seats, or interior. A freshly rebuilt 360/727 low stall, built to stockcar specs with 0 miles.

Any idea how good a deal $2,000 is?

Thanks!

I found a local car for sale for $2,000.

It's a '70 318, 8 3/4 swinger, somewhat stripped and almost complete. No rot anywhere, just a little superficial rust here and there. The trunk, inside cab, and engine compartment have been recently repainted plum crazy. All the trim and chrome are in great condition, no windshield or front seats, or interior, and needs just a little body work and full outside paint. It has a freshly rebuilt 360/727 low stall, built to stockcar specs with 0 miles.

Any idea how good a deal $2,000 is?

Thanks!

hard to see without looking at it.. is it a roller? motor and trans in it? if it has no rust at all it is probably worth in the ball park of that.

Well, I committed to buying it and picking it up on Sunday, so here goes the beginning of my first long term project of this source.
Since the seller already painted the cab, engine, and trunk compartments Plum Crazy, that's the color I'll probobly end up with.
Since this is all new to me, I hope all who have the time and are willing, will be patient with me with all the questions I'll have here going forward, so thanks ahead of time!

Getting a fresh 360, plus tranny, should be worth it. I bought mine for $2200, with 340, and 727. I've had to replace qtr panels, plus, tons of body work. I think you've got a heck of a deal, if everything is as you've stated. Howard

Thanks!
I'll know if it's an LA or magnum motor when I get it home. Since the motor and trans are fresh, that's the last thing I'll focus on. Another thing I want to check is what's in the 8 3/4 rearend, so any decoding help will be appreciated!

On the center section you'll find a casting number ending in one of the following; 741, 742, 489. 489 is the later tapered pinion gear set, 741 is the small pinion gear set, and 742 is the large pinion gear set (if i remember right, I'm certain on the 489 detail). Any of these will be fine behind a street driven small block. To determine whether the axle is open lift the rear tires and attempt to turn them, if they spin opposite directions its an open axle, if they turn the same direction then its a sure grip. to determine the ratio, rotate the tire, one complete rotation and count the number of times the pinion turns, the ratio is the number of pinion revolutions to tire revolutions.

Thanks, I just found a trailer to borrow and should be bringing it home on Sunday. I'll jack it up to see.

70 has got to be the pinnacle for style for most musce cars and imho is for the Dart.Love that grille, front bumper,twin hood scoops!

Good luck and keep us posted!

annnd what is your problem with a Plum Crazy 70' Dart Swinger??:scratch:

tn_IMG_0303.jpg

-
Back