Found a 489 what to do with it?

-

snailpower

Reaction score
I have been assembling parts for an 8 3/4 swap in my 72 Scamp and already found an a body housing / axles and drums that are all rebuilt or new parts.

This weekend while cruising the local U pull it I came across a 72 B200 with an open 489 with 3.23 gears that I was able to pick up for $37.50 (40% off weekend).

My question is, what would everyone here recommend for building this into a sure grip? I want to do it as cost effectively as possible. What would you do?

My plan was to take it to a diff shop and possibly get them to rebuild it, swap in some 3.55s and a sure grip but I can't see getting out of there without spending $1200ish. Is there any way to save a bit of coin?

Buy a sure grip unit of your choice, (i prefer the old style clutch type) used, or spring for one of the new units. If the gears and bearings spin nice, (99% of the time they do) put new carrier bearings on there, measure the backlash on the gear (do a search, its simple) then remove the open diff, transfer the ring gear from the open unit to the suregrip, reinstall, set backlash to pevious measurement and your done. Most "shops" will charge you a ton, and you will end up with a noisy gear set.

Are you still rebuilding the cone units?

I am but I am running terribly behind finishing one up now for tantibus74. With Kitty's stroke and all, it has thrown us for a loop. All I have left is assembling it......will take less than an hour, but I gotta FIND that hour this week since I am off. Let me know if you need one done. I should be able to get it out in a much more timely manner soon.

I am but I am running terribly behind finishing one up now for tantibus74. With Kitty's stroke and all, it has thrown us for a loop. All I have left is assembling it......will take less than an hour, but I gotta FIND that hour this week since I am off. Let me know if you need one done. I should be able to get it out in a much more timely manner soon.
I'll get with you, probably be later in June. Maybe July. Depends on how fast I can find the time to install my new rear suspension

Bought my Powrlok from him and paid a local tranny guy $50 to swap it in.
Cass was awesome to deal with. Honest guy with great customer service.

X3. Cass will hook you up. I found an old power lock and cass hooked me up with 1 piece side gears and new clutches, and a bearing kit. I had a machine shop install the carrier bearings and did the rest my self. 3.23 is a good street gear. I'd use them if they are in good shape. As mentioned, measure backlash before you disassemble, then set the gears to that same spec when reinstalling, to minimize the chance of noisy gears.

All very good advice, thanks guys I appreciate it. I have talked to Cass before and looks like I will be in touch with him again shortly.

Does anyone have anything I should look for in terms of inspecting the gears? They look good to a casual eye but any details I should look for?

Buy a sure grip unit of your choice, (i prefer the old style clutch type) used, or spring for one of the new units. If the gears and bearings spin nice, (99% of the time they do) put new carrier bearings on there, measure the backlash on the gear (do a search, its simple) then remove the open diff, transfer the ring gear from the open unit to the suregrip, reinstall, set backlash to pevious measurement and your done. Most "shops" will charge you a ton, and you will end up with a noisy gear set.

Best Advice, easy!

if U reuse gears U need the same backlash, and U need the correct amount of carrier bearing preload

All very good advice, thanks guys I appreciate it. I have talked to Cass before and looks like I will be in touch with him again shortly.

Does anyone have anything I should look for in terms of inspecting the gears? They look good to a casual eye but any details I should look for?

Usually it is pretty obvious if something is wrong. See where the contact pattern is on the gears. If it is very close to the edges if the gear check for thinning or a "knife edge". It'll likely be somewhere in the center of the gears anyhow. Look real closely at both the drive and coast side of each of the teeth.

As mentioned, be sure to measure the backlash prior to disassembly so you'll know where to put it back.

Also you may want to get a crush sleeve eliminator kit from Cass too. That way you can adjust the pinion preload with reusable shims instead of the one time use crush sleeves. They are a pita!

-
Back