found a deal on a 4 speed setup - would it work in a 67 dart gt?

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
this is what he has for sale:

Mopar Small Block 4-Speed Setup 23-spline A833 OD.

- 1 aluminum 4-speed bell housing, including clutch fork mount

- 1 aluminum 4-speed transmission (4-speed overdrive)

- Hurst 4-speed shifter mechanism (with linkage and arms) Will need different for E body

- rear drive shaft yoke

- transmission mount & z-bar

prob needs clutch plates, etc but hes asking for 350. what do you all think? i currently have a 318 auto with floor console. i know i'd need he floor hump too.

balls ok. what is the difference? still trying to figure all these mopar transmission scenarios out lol!

The tailshaft housing and tailshaft are different from and B/E body A833 to an A body unit.

thanks everyone. i'm not sure if what he has is FOR an e body or if he was aying it could work on both? odd add. anyway i'll call him. i happen to be in florida and saw this while surfing the web. IF it is the right setup for the a body, is 350 a fair deal? i know thats tough to say with no history or pics, just trying to get a sense of worth. thanks again everyone.

sounds like a deal if it is in good condition, just make sure it is an A-body set up

Make sure the bellhousing has the right size register (5 1/8" if nothing has been changed on the trans) to fit the OD trans.

if its for an E-body it wont fit your A-body

Sure it will I have a long tail shaft A833OD in my 68 Barracuda. You will need to fabricate a mounting plate that uses the rear e-body mount on the tailshaft and positions the shifter forward to the correct position. You will also need to shorten the drive shaft about 3 3/8".

bigblockdart.com has a dimensioned drawing of the mounting plate and an article on this swap. The slantsix.org article mentioned has a write up on my experience putting the tranny in my car.

Sure it will I have a long tail shaft A833OD in my 68 Barracuda. You will need to fabricate a mounting plate that uses the rear e-body mount on the tailshaft and positions the shifter forward to the correct position. You will also need to shorten the drive shaft about 3 3/8".

bigblockdart.com has a dimensioned drawing of the mounting plate and an article on this swap. The slantsix.org article mentioned has a write up on my experience putting the tranny in my car.

yea I have seen that but I believe it is a much better idea to change the tail & main shaft or start with an A-body trans than try to adapt the wrong one to fit but it can be done

I read this thread just after surfing ebay, and I suspect I found this same deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a745b9fa

I dont think this is the best deal around, scuzzy , corroded tranny, that surely will need a rebuild.All the other parts which he says he has listed must be similar condition. I would avoid.

But brings up a bigger question to me. Are pre OD trans that hard to find, so that folks are resorting to these OD units, even truck ones I see people considering?

Seems like there are plenty of 66-72 trannys out west, at least that I see.

Why I even have a rebuilt one (69 version) that I would sell for some of the prices I see crappy used , unknown stuff going for.

red

yea I have seen that but I believe it is a much better idea to change the tail & main shaft or start with an A-body trans than try to adapt the wrong one to fit but it can be done

Long Tailshaft A833OD's are much more common than the A/F body ones and they are dirt cheap, I paid $100 for the tranny, shifter, bell housing, flywheel, slip yoke and clutch out of an 81 D100 at the local bone yard. Having the drive shaft cut, balanced with new u-joints was $75 at the local drive shaft shop. Other than the drive shaft and fabricating a mounting plate the long tailshaft is a straight bolt in.

The chances of finding an A-body tail & main shaft that aren't connected to the rest of the tranny are mighty slim. If you have the long tail shaft unit there is absolutely no down side to using it so the added expense and complexity of swapping in the short main & tail shaft makes no sense.

My recomendation is if you find a good price on an A/F-body tranny use it, if you find a good price on the Long Tailshaft tranny use it. The least expensive route will very likely be the Long Tailshaft tranny when talking about the OD versions.

Long Tailshaft A833OD's are much more common than the A/F body ones and they are dirt cheap, I paid $100 for the tranny, shifter, bell housing, flywheel, slip yoke and clutch out of an 81 D100 at the local bone yard. Having the drive shaft cut, balanced with new u-joints was $75 at the local drive shaft shop. Other than the drive shaft and fabricating a mounting plate the long tailshaft is a straight bolt in.

The chances of finding an A-body tail & main shaft that aren't connected to the rest of the tranny are mighty slim. If you have the long tail shaft unit there is absolutely no down side to using it so the added expense and complexity of swapping in the short main & tail shaft makes no sense.

My recomendation is if you find a good price on an A/F-body tranny use it, if you find a good price on the Long Tailshaft tranny use it. The least expensive route will very likely be the Long Tailshaft tranny when talking about the OD versions.
you are correct on that I found a few long tail A-833 4speeds and O/D 4speeds cheap, and the short tail A-body ones I found were a lot more money, so I did consider going the adapter plate route, fortunately for me I got a reasonable deal on an early 70's A-body slip yoke 4speed, so they are out there if you are willing to keep looking, but you are correct sometimes it is better to just use what you have or can get cheap, and save money for the next project.

ok so i have an a833 od out of an 83 truck so it has the long tail shaft. if I move the shifter to the mounting spot on the tailshaft will it line up with the floor hump on a 71 a body?

ok so i have an a833 od out of an 83 truck so it has the long tail shaft. if I move the shifter to the mounting spot on the tailshaft will it line up with the floor hump on a 71 a body?

NO , you have to make an adaptor plate to move it forward ... assuming you want it to come up in the stock location

-
Back