Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Ha. Yep, here you go! I know nothing about engine builds or what any of this means, but maybe you guys will! Looks like it’s saying 385 hp to me. I’m sure he said 395 when I picked it up
I’m sure hoping he put a cam in it. I told him that I wanted that done….for the sweet sound of it. I see “lunati cam kit” listed at the top of first page. Not sure if that’s considered “putting a cam in it” or not

View attachment 1716238238

View attachment 1716238239

View attachment 1716238240

View attachment 1716238241

View attachment 1716238242

View attachment 1716238243

View attachment 1716238244
So this machine shop / engine builder did a complete long block rebuild and missed a bad head and charged you another $680 bucks to fix their mishap? I would be having a problem with that and also would want to know exactly how hot they got my brand new motor on the dyno.

How the hell do you have internal blockage? I dirt dobber nest or what?

Did they get the motor so hot it cracked the head?

So this machine shop / engine builder did a complete long block rebuild and missed a bad head and charged you another $680 bucks to fix their mishap? I would be having a problem with that and also would want to know exactly how hot they got my brand new motor on the dyno.

How the hell do you have internal blockage? I dirt dobber nest or what?

Did they get the motor so hot it cracked the head?
Ya. Again, I don’t know a lot about engines. His explanation to me was that there was no way they could have known. He gave me the old head to bring home. I was actually thinking that I hope it didn’t get too hot. But I just assumed they’d know what they were doing and it would have never gotten to a point where it would be hot enough to cause any issues. But again, I don’t even really know how engines work. Being honest

Ya. Again, I don’t know a lot about engines. His explanation to me was that there was no way they could have known. He gave me the old head to bring home. I was actually thinking that I hope it didn’t get too hot. But I just assumed they’d know what they were doing and it would have never gotten to a point where it would be hot enough to cause any issues. But again, I don’t even really know how engines work. Being honest
I totally understand your point and that is why you paid them a PREMIUM for a rebuild.
I would be asking some questions, Heat will wreak havick on a flat tappet cam and especially one that is not broke in yet.
What kind of warranty did they give you?

I totally understand your point and that is why you paid them a PREMIUM for a rebuild.
I would be asking some questions, Heat will wreak havick on a flat tappet cam and especially one that is not broke in yet.
What kind of warranty did they give you?
Well when I asked about a warranty, they claim that engine rebuilds don’t really come with a warranty, because they don’t know how the engine will be “used”. This really didn’t make sense to me. They came with such high recommendations and to be honest, a few things happened that would make me never do business with them again. I’m praying that the engine will be ok. Maybe I should email them, so my concerns are in writing

Well when I asked about a warranty, they claim that engine rebuilds don’t really come with a warranty, because they don’t know how the engine will be “used”. This really didn’t make sense to me. They came with such high recommendations and to be honest, a few things happened that would make me never do business with them again. I’m praying that the engine will be ok. Maybe I should email them, so my concerns are in writing
There are several very reputable engine builders on this forum that may give you some advice but as for me. I would be livid.

Something smells and they messed up and charged you for it.

You already payed them to rebuild the heads. I would ask for full dyno sheets on real time to see how hot they got your motor.

I am not going to go any further but you paid very good money for their service.

Your car is going to be gorgeous.

Sounds a little bit strange that they won't stand behind their work. Every engine shop I've dealt with has offered some warranty, unless it's a race engine.

There are several very reputable engine builders on this forum that may give you some advice but as for me. I would be livid.

Something smells and they messed up and charged you for it.

You already payed them to rebuild the heads. I would ask for full dyno sheets on real time to see how hot they got your motor.

I am not going to go any further but you paid very good money for their service.

Your car is going to be gorgeous.
Thanks for the concern and the help. It is much appreciated. I should have researched more. I’ve already been told by a friend that I paid more than they thought it should have been. Live and learn, I guess. I will definitely send an email requesting info on how hot the engine got. Also inquiring about a warranty. I just assumed maybe that’s how it was with older engine rebuilds. I feel a bit crappy for not pushing my concerns with them. I just expected them to know this stuff like the back of their hands. They’ve been in the game so long. That’s why I didn’t really shop around. I wanted experience over a possible cheaper price

Thanks for the concern and the help. It is much appreciated. I should have researched more. I’ve already been told by a friend that I paid more than they thought it should have been. Live and learn, I guess. I will definitely send an email requesting info on how hot the engine got. Also inquiring about a warranty. I just assumed maybe that’s how it was with older engine rebuilds. I feel a bit crappy for not pushing my concerns with them. I just expected them to know this stuff like the back of their hands. They’ve been in the game so long. That’s why I didn’t really shop around. I wanted experience over a possible cheaper price
do your home work first, I would not put them in defensive mode.

Reputable shops stand behind their products and they are not doing that before it even leaves their possession.

do your home work first, I would not put them in defensive mode.

Reputable shops stand behind their products and they are not doing that before it even leaves their possession.
Thanks. Definitely. I’ll just inquire and won’t make any demands or anything. Just so that it’s in writing

Thanks. Definitely. I’ll just inquire and won’t make any demands or anything. Just so that it’s in writing
Maybe just ask for the Dyno downloads. They should have them if they are computerized.
I would go to their shop and ask. Have you took possession of the motor?

Here’s a few more pictures! I had the engine rebuilt at Beatty and Woods, in Mississauga. They have a good mopar reputation. I told them that I wanted it to look fully stock and original, but to add a bit more HP while they were at it. It ended up producing 395 hp. So it should be a decent amount of power over the stock 275 hp
I believe this was originally the 72 Motown Missile ProStock Cuda which has since been restored.
Screenshot_20240418-220433_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I believe this was originally the 72 Motown Missile ProStock Cuda which has since been restored.
That does not make it right. 10k for a long block rebuild with a cam? And you will not stand behind a stock motor?

I don't care if you are Keith Black, that is B.S.

Hell, you can buy a motor from summit cheaper and with a warranty.

This good man depended on them and paid more because of their name.

Maybe just ask for the Dyno downloads. They should have them if they are computerized.
I would go to their shop and ask. Have you took possession of the motor?
Ya. I posted a picture of it earlier in my posts. I have a video of it on the dyno too

Ya. I posted a picture of it earlier in my posts. I have a video of it on the dyno too
I am talking the downloads to computer files.

It should show Oil PSI. water temp. Load on motor, etc.

Post it again so I do not have to go back through all the posts but if you are only watching max HP and max torque.

Your are not watching engine temps and oil psi and that is what kills motors.
This is important and you need to see it.

I am talking the downloads to computer files.

It should show Oil PSI. water temp. Load on motor, etc.

Post it again so I do not have to go back through all the posts but if you are only watching max HP and max torque.

Your are not watching engine temps and oil psi and that is what kills motors.
This is important and you need to see it.
Oh no, I didn’t see anything on a screen. No numbers or temps etc. I just asked him to take a video of the engine running, so I could hear it. He emailed it to me. I wasn’t there for it
I’ll have to find the video

FD54177D-241E-443E-BF15-12837512BCB8.png

No idea why it won’t let me find the video. I found it in my camera roll, but when Im on this site and click on attach photos, then go to my camera roll, it’s not there anymore. Lol. Then I go back onto my camera roll when I’m not on this site and it’s there again

So here is how I am seeing it.

Your motor is running hot after our $9200 long block rebuild and we have determined that it was caused by this cylinder head that we rebuilt already but not the other head. This head had a blockage, (CRACK) that there was no way we could have known. (WE MISSED THE CRACK)

We will not stand behind our motors because there is no way we know how they will be used. (OR HOW MUCH DAMAGE WE DID WHEN WE GOT IT HOT)

Also, (YOU SHOULD TRUST EVERYTHING WE DO BUT WE DO NOT TRUST WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO)

No idea why it won’t let me find the video. I found it in my camera roll, but when Im on this site and click on attach photos, then go to my camera roll, it’s not there anymore. Lol. Then I go back onto my camera roll when I’m not on this site and it’s there again
Probably because the file extension is not recognized by this server. Videos need a second party link from the likes of YouTube or google drive to be played on this site.

This shop should be bending backwards to make this right. Do not be a pushover and have to remove this motor in a few years or weeks or worse. Loose it and its original numbers.

So here is how I am seeing it.

Your motor is running hot after our $9200 long block rebuild and we have determined that it was caused by this cylinder head that we rebuilt already but not the other head. This head had a blockage, (CRACK) that there was no way we could have known. (WE MISSED THE CRACK)

We will not stand behind our motors because there is no way we know how they will be used. (OR HOW MUCH DAMAGE WE DID WHEN WE GOT IT HOT)

Also, (YOU SHOULD TRUST EVERYTHING WE DO BUT WE DO NOT TRUST WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO)
Ya. Not much I can do at this point, I guess. I just trusted a company to do their job and do it perfectly. They came highly recommended and I researched their name…and it seemed to be a good one. Hopefully it ends up being ok. I didn’t know enough at the time to question them on things. For now, I’ll just have to hope that all will be good and I’ll be doing stress free burnouts in no time!

So you already paid and picked the motor up?

That does not make it right. 10k for a long block rebuild with a cam? And you will not stand behind a stock motor?

I don't care if you are Keith Black, that is B.S.

Hell, you can buy a motor from summit cheaper and with a warranty.

This good man depended on them and paid more because of their name.
I wasn't implying that. I just thought that name sounded familiar.
Look closely and you can see the name on the front fender in one the the pictures.

-
Back