Frame Ties Help

-

KP

Reaction score
I am looking to make and install frame ties and are looking for some tips.

Material and thickness (Channel, tubing) ?

Bolt and/or weld?

Leveling of car?

Etc.

I would be thankful for any help

I am looking to make and install frame ties and are looking for some tips.

Material and thickness (Channel, tubing) ?

Bolt and/or weld?

Leveling of car?

Etc.

I would be thankful for any help

Sure, square tubing (as big as possible I think I used 2") welded in with car on all 4 wheels level.

Terry

I'm making a pair right now for my 65 barracuda. Using 2X3 tube with 1/8" wall thickness. Welded a 6" X 2" flat stock on the one end which will weld to the front torsion mount cross member. (Also drilled a couple of holes for plug welding.) The rear will slip over the frame rail if you cut out the top of the tube. I notched out the tube to make it fit under the floor pan, you will have to see how yours will fit and how much you will have to trim off. Some guys will cut into the floor board at this point to have the connector slightly protrude into the car, but I didn't want to do that. After cutting the top of the tube off I put the frame connector under the car and clamped it in place at the front, then I used a jack to push the connector over the frame rail at the back. Once I was satisfied that everything was fitting properly I boxed in the top of the tube to give it the strength back. Now I just have to weld it in place and Bobs your uncle you have frame connectors!
I hope the pictures will explain it a little better.
DSCF2760.jpg

DSCF2761.jpg

DSCF2762.jpg

DSCF2763.jpg

I also reinforced and boxed in the K-frame, and ground out and re-welded all the old welds. I took a couple of pics but I'll post some more later.
DSCF2764.jpg[/ATTACH]
Oh, and I did all this with the engine and tranny out of the vehicle as well as all the front suspension off, to take the stress and weight off the chassis. The car is on jack stands at the four corners under the rocker panels and is level.

DSCF2760.jpg

DSCF2761.jpg

DSCF2762.jpg

DSCF2763.jpg

DSCF2764.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg

DSCF2767.jpg

You didn't by any chance make any patterns, did you? A set like that would be perfect for my car. How long are your finished connectors? I'm gonna' keep this thread in mind when I make mine. Thanks for posting the info & pics!

The finished connectors are 46" long. I didn't make a patterns but the easy thing to do is to place the connector under the car before you notch out the top and position the tube just under the rear frame rail and set it level then use a scribe to get the contour of the floor transfered onto the 2X3 tube.
I'm glad I was able to contribute to the forum!
The car is slowly coming along and I plan on starting a thread in the member restorations category when I get some time and take some decent pics of the work so far.

I used the 2x2 square stock. An important part of the frame connectors is for them to come through the floor and get welded together for maximum unibody strength. Mine come through the floor about 1/2" (rear seat area only). With the carpet down you don't even know they're there. Easier, faster, stronger.

I did the style from BBD.

2x3 .125 rect tube w/ 2x6 .125 flat plate on front, sectioned out to fit over the rear rails.

On my 70 dart they hit the floor pans terrible. I did things a little different as I didn't want to cut the floor pans. You could section the tubing like the early a-body one or step them behind the rear footpan wells.

Just finished installing mine in my Demon last weekend. Used 2" X 3" tubing, .120" wall. We cut the floor pan on each side to install. They stick up in the rear seat pan area about 1-1/2", but the carpet will cover it and no one will probably ride back there anyway. Below are the pictures of the install.

HPIM0599.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

HPIM0598.jpg

HPIM0595.jpg

HPIM0602.jpg

HPIM0601.jpg

HPIM0599.jpg

HPIM0599.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

HPIM0598.jpg

HPIM0598.jpg

HPIM0595.jpg

HPIM0595.jpg

HPIM0602.jpg

HPIM0602.jpg

HPIM0601.jpg

HPIM0601.jpg

Would you be interest in making up a second set?

-
Back