Fresh 383 rear main leak during install

-

72golddustermike

Reaction score
While installing engine and tranny in car rear main started leaking. They engine was sitting up at angle to get it and trans in bay was filled with 5 qts of oil. should I have waited to put oil in after it was in engine bay. It did not leak when sitting horizontal when I was priming it it showed 55 psi during priming.

Gonna have to redo main seal, if it was line bored without the retainer can cause issues

I had to redo my 440 rearmain seal after rebuild. Now I have a fresh 383 4 speed and pretty sure the rearmain seal is leaking on it too . Very disappointing. If it's not leaking much you can run it and it might tighten up. Mine didn't on my 440. But I was able to keep engine in car (68 dart) and pull trans (727) and just install new seal and it never leaked agian. As we speak I am debating weather to try the same procedure with my 383 4 speed, or pull the engine to install new seal.

Some people install them wrong. They put those side seals in dry with no additional sealant. They are supposed to be dipped in diesel or something, and they swell after being installed. I use Permatex Ultra Seal instead, and clock the seal halves slightly to mis-align with the parting line between the block and the retainer. I also back fill the cavity behind the seal with sealant.

Problem found seal was installed wrong on seal plate large lip was facing toward rear instead of front the upper seal in block was facing the front the way it is supposed to.

Problem found seal was installed wrong on seal plate large lip was facing toward rear instead of front the upper seal in block was facing the front the way it is supposed to.

That's good news... we're you able to R&R the seal by just removing seal retainer plate?

I install the seal off center dab of Ultra Black RTV on each end (film really not a dab) - I buy the silicone side seals, and go nuts with the Ultra Black RTV on those - reassemble everything, let it sit - crap you not let the motor sit for a good 3 days with no oil in it and let the RTV setup - pull the coil wire off to ensure you won't accidentally start the car.. after it sits for a few days fill the oil back up, and fire it up.. let it get hot, shut it down. come back 2 hours later see if it's still leaking.. it shouldn't if you did it right

-
Back