fried wires

-

madd

Reaction score
ok so uh oh this morning i drove a block and a wire fried on the driver side of the engine bay, it was a blue wire that is soldered together with a green and red to a large black wire, i quick connected all of them back together and turn the key on tried to start it and a blue wire that runs up under the steering column fried, can anyone please help:mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum:

Picture? Assumed to be the 81 slant ram in your signature? Is your wiring harness intact or has it been butchered by shady tree mechanics?

Note for the future: If something fries, don't hook it back up until after you figure out why.

ok so uh oh this morning i drove a block and a wire fried on the driver side of the engine bay, it was a blue wire that is soldered together with a green and red to a large black wire, i quick connected all of them back together and turn the key on tried to start it and a blue wire that runs up under the steering column fried, can anyone please help:mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum:

I can't imagine where those colors would all be soldered together.

Look and see where the big black wire runs to, and look closely and see where the red one runs to, the green wire could be going to your ceramic ballast resister on your fire wall, we need more info to help, do you know what your starter relay looks like and what it is, it will have four or 5 wires ran to it.....could be mounted by your battery or on the fire wall drivers side ...................Look and see if any of the wires going to it look like they have been getting hot................. How long have you had this auto ?

I can't imagine where those colors would all be soldered together.

I can't ether, I wonder if some one by past something to get fire to the distributor :glasses7:

No expert on 81 trucks, but you probably still have the amp gage in the dash. If so, bypass it in the engine bay. Many, many posts on that.

OK awesome help guys thank you all. Sorry, I thought it was assumed to be my 81 step slant d150. I work at a local dealership in the service department as a service writer so I asked a friend(master tech). He helped me find the issue.

Issue was:
I removed the spark control computer. Then removed egr crud and left a pig tail loose. Mind you the truck has been running for weeks like this with no issues what so ever. This pigtail ground out on the engine block and fried it and ran all the way through the passenger side large wire harness connection all the way to the fusible links on the driver side fender well. The blue wire there. I hooked that back up and that's how I overheated the blue wire under the steering column. After we inspected the entire wire harness we learned all this. I was show where and how and what I did wrong when I taped back up the harness after putting the Hei in and removing egr vacuum crud.

Thank you for the help. I have a volt gauge that is not installed yet. I am planning on replacing the wire and going through the entire harness when out of its tape and repairing any and all wiring properly. I just need to wait until payday Friday.

Thank you all again. I got a car to drive from work thankfully but I need to get this done ASAP so my question is any recommendations on how to make this simple easy safe and fast?

It scares me sometimes when I look under some people's hoods. Bare wires, things permanently hooked up with alligator clips. For some reason, many don't treat electrical wiring with the same care as their engine and don't see a problem until ... . Electrical problems will strand you the quickest.

It scares me sometimes when I look under some people's hoods. Bare wires, things permanently hooked up with alligator clips. For some reason, many don't treat electrical wiring with the same care as their engine and don't see a problem until ... . Electrical problems will strand you the quickest.

It is because electrical systems are misunderstood compared to engine components. There are frequently posts on here about how someone just doesn't know anything about the electrical system, but they know how to do everything else. I have made my share on mistakes and I am always learning new things about automotive electrical systems and that is after more than 10 full time years as a dealer service tech.

It's good to here that the OP has some on site help, no amount of internet advice can compare with a set of experienced eyes/hands helping in person.

Sorry guys I didn't subscribe to this thread to keep up with you all. I got it fixed for the time being but I still need to go through every wire and double check stuff. Make sure connections are secure and water tight. I live in Oregon and it likes to rain here. Then I will wire loom it all for pretties. Unfortunately time and money are my biggest issues.

-
Back