From a teacher. Something to think about.

-
While I may not agree with this cartoon…it brought up a question that I need the older members feedback. Drinking age used to be 18 then raised to 21…I don’t remember that as I was born in the mid seventies. Now take the fact of rights out of it as I’m just looking for data. What was the national pulse/opinion in regards to raising drinking age/what did people say back then/etc?

It’s not just young people addicted to their phones, it’s everybody. The guy that runs our jobs always has his phone in his upper shirt pocket, listening to nonsense. And he was the one that said…”I’ll never get a cell phone, I don’t want anybody to know where I am”. Now he’s on it all the time, takes pictures of everything, and calls people constantly, even his wife, who is exasperated about it. He has dunked his phone more than a few times, one time bending over the sump pump crock while working, and splash!!! It’s an epidemic.

While I may not agree with this cartoon…it brought up a question that I need the older members feedback. Drinking age used to be 18 then raised to 21…I don’t remember that as I was born in the mid seventies. Now take the fact of rights out of it as I’m just looking for data. What was the national pulse/opinion in regards to raising drinking age/what did people say back then/etc?

where/when i grew up the drinking age was 16 (and barely enforced)

i remember one time, about 15 years or so ago, going back home to visit and one of my cousins was very grumpy
turned out he had turned 16 a few months before they raised it to 18 and he hadnt been grandfathered in

so he had been out partying and drinking for a few months, and now he had to wait almost 2 years before he could drink again

It’s not just young people addicted to their phones, it’s everybody. The guy that runs our jobs always has his phone in his upper shirt pocket, listening to nonsense. And he was the one that said…”I’ll never get a cell phone, I don’t want anybody to know where I am”. Now he’s on it all the time, takes pictures of everything, and calls people constantly, even his wife, who is exasperated about it. He has dunked his phone more than a few times, one time bending over the sump pump crock while working, and splash!!! It’s an epidemic.
Just wait till Skynet takes over:rolleyes:

Back in the 1960s. Georgia. At 18 there, I could legally buy a gun, alcohol, and get drafted and sent to Nam to die. Most states required you to be 21 to buy booze but old enough at 18 to die.
All the details of what and how it all went down at Uvalde is still unclear.
Not that I’m trying for one up man ship but up until about 6 years ago you could buy guns and liquor and ammunition in the same store in Manitoba. The draft is called conscription in Canada.

At that tragic news conference Tx governor Abbott held yesterday, he noted that an 18 year old has been legal to buy a "long rifle" for the last 60 years, but not until just a few years has Tx. experienced school shootings. Why???
Texas has been having mass shootings since the 60's.......not sure what the honorable governor is talking about

Texas has been having mass shootings since the 60's.......not sure what the honorable governor is talking about
Abbott failed to mention that in the 60s you couldn't buy an AR 15 so easily (if at all). A "long gun" as he puts it was a deer rifle or maybe a shotgun......but not an assault weapon! Abbott makes it sound like 18 year olds could buy AR 15s in the 60s??????????

I can honestly say I am nowhere close to be addicted to my phone. I hate everything about the sumbitch and if I could get another flip phone that would receive out here, I would. Now, the laptop is a different story. I'm sure those of us who spend lots of time on the computer each day are probably suffering a little in the personal communication department......but I really don't give a ****. LOL

I can honestly say I am nowhere close to be addicted to my phone. I hate everything about the sumbitch and if I could get another flip phone that would receive out here, I would. Now, the laptop is a different story. I'm sure those of us who spend lots of time on the computer each day are probably suffering a little in the personal communication department......but I really don't give a ****. LOL
We love you too........Bless your heart!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::poke::thumbsup:

The sixties, I was in HS and graduated in '66. Georgia. Legal drinking age was 18. If you could drive over to the "black side of town" to a juke joint, just hand a guy some $$ and ask for your favorite beverage and HOPE he returned with it for you. The sixties was also the Viet Nam war. Draft age was starting at 18. Ga. said IF you are old enough to get drafted at 18 and sent off to die, then you are old enough to drink booze and by a rifle. There was no AR stuff just the same rifles, ammo, handguns that you an buy today pretty much. Any kid old enough to drive, usually had a loaded rifle or shotgun in his pickup or car. Just the way it was. And back then, farmers/ranchers always had a gun rack in the rear window of the pickup. Rural areas or mall town America, where I came from, these trucks were parked and never locked back then. Different world. Our home as never locked back then. Even back then, mom carried a loaded snub nose revolver in her purse though. Go figure!!

I once told my kids to go round up every kid they knew cuz we were going to the park to play baseball . 15 kids showed ( boys and girls) and it was like they were at the state fair ! All had a blast .

As for guns ... I like guns but when I was young guys bought guns to hunt or as collectables . Lots of people reloaded and had gun rooms . Today most of the gun "NUTS" I know buy them oug of some sort of irrational fear of fantasy of being in a shoot out.
They stockpile 10s of thousands of rounds ... have tacticle gear... practice and compete in combat style events and so on .
We used to talk about those guys as whakadoodles.... now mainstream.

I worked with a "survivelist" type guy about 10 years back. Probably one of the smartest guys I knew, mechanic, welder fabricator, he could do anything. But crazier than a chit house rat. If he had tons or any guns/ammo I never knew of it. But a real whatadoodle.
He actually sold out in Az. and moved to high ground in Mo. for what all his crazy reasons were, there were many. But an extremely intelligent person with untold abilities. I doubt he got past HS.

Abbott failed to mention that in the 60s you couldn't buy an AR 15 so easily (if at all). A "long gun" as he puts it was a deer rifle or maybe a shotgun......but not an assault weapon! Abbott makes it sound like 18 year olds could buy AR 15s in the 60s??????????

In the 70's our local gun store stocked and sold AR's, Uzi's & Mac 10's... Back then you could purchase a select fire weapon without any special license... A guy I knew bought a Mac 10 in our senior year of HS... Far as I know he hasn't shot anyone in the close to 50 years since we got out of HS.... And as Barbee pointed out rifles & shot guns were everywhere, practically every old pickup had a gun rack in the back window & the trucks were rarely locked.. But often parked in school parking lots.... And yet some how no one was shooting up schools....

In the 70's our local gun store stocked and sold AR's, Uzi's & Mac 10's... Back then you could purchase a select fire weapon without any special license... A guy I knew bought a Mac 10 in our senior year of HS... Far as I know he hasn't shot anyone in the close to 50 years since we got out of HS.... And as Barbee pointed out rifles & shot guns were everywhere, practically every old pickup had a gun rack in the back window & the trucks were rarely locked.. But often parked in school parking lots.... And yet some how no one was shooting up schools....

And i have a picture of me aiming a .50 cal sniper rifle smoking a cigerette and a Budweiser can next to the gun . But my motivations were different. I thought it was a cool gun with amazing tech ( and the picture was funny ).
Every other vehicle here in Idaho has a sticker of an AR-15 plastered on it somewhere . Guys run around town with sidearms and speedloaders like they anticipate a gunfight ! The Irony is that they will be the first targets if a bad guy decides to start shooting . And they come into your business with an attitude and a scowl like they are Dirty Harry .Do ya think that guy is playing with a full deck ?

I worked with a "survivelist" type guy about 10 years back. Probably one of the smartest guys I knew, mechanic, welder fabricator, he could do anything. But crazier than a chit house rat. If he had tons or any guns/ammo I never knew of it. But a real whatadoodle.
He actually sold out in Az. and moved to high ground in Mo. for what all his crazy reasons were, there were many. But an extremely intelligent person with untold abilities. I doubt he got past HS.
Some guys are just born clever, education or not and can fix or build anything. It's a real talent.
Too bad there aren't more like that.

And i have a picture of me aiming a .50 cal sniper rifle smoking a cigerette and a Budweiser can next to the gun . But my motivations were different. I thought it was a cool gun with amazing tech ( and the picture was funny ).
Every other vehicle here in Idaho has a sticker of an AR-15 plastered on it somewhere . Guys run around town with sidearms and speedloaders like they anticipate a gunfight ! The Irony is that they will be the first targets if a bad guy decides to start shooting . And they come into your business with an attitude and a scowl like they are Dirty Harry .Do ya think that guy is playing with a full deck ?
What a sad way to live. Sorry but just can't get my head around that.

I think the OP is on to something, especially in an environment where mental health issues may only be identified by a third party and by someone with access to all of our kids (across the socio-economic spectrum). Somehow, people with really broken coping mechanisms (your fight or flight response to stress) need help and as others have mentioned, parents are either not interested, incapable of identifying these issues, or getting help. Faith based organizations and social services used to carry some of that load but are either not used or are under funded.

My wife and I talked about our personalities, device use, coping mechanisms, and their juxtaposition to the guns we own. We figure none of those things contribute to a resolution of violence when we are stressed but wonder if we are able to identify signs of that opposite capacity in our loved ones. It's not an easy conversation.

where/when i grew up the drinking age was 16 (and barely enforced)

i remember one time, about 15 years or so ago, going back home to visit and one of my cousins was very grumpy
turned out he had turned 16 a few months before they raised it to 18 and he hadnt been grandfathered in

so he had been out partying and drinking for a few months, and now he had to wait almost 2 years before he could drink again

I had just turned 18 maybe a month the Manitoba government lowered the drinking age to 18 from 21.
Boy was I frowned
Apon by by my friends that were 19,20, 21.
Somebody please give me a defination of an assault weapon
anything you assault another person with.

Somebody please give me a defination of an assault weapon

I heard an interesting interview with a gun expert years ago and he told the history of assualt rifles .
In WW1 and early WW2 the military issued long rifle such as Mausers etc.
But they found most infantry werent aiming them but rather just pointing them in the general direction and firing while keeping their head down so as not to get shot. So they designed a smaller caliber compact gun that could fire many rounds and be easy to wield and carry . The only purpose was for combat . Todays ARs are far more accurate and could be used to hunt I suppose but I have yet to see one in the field and besides many states have regulations about barrel length for hunting weapons .

-
Back