Front Brakes and Spindles

-

PaulRM

Reaction score
I've got a "small" problem; maybe you can help!

I have a slant six car with originally 9" front drum brakes. Last year, I obtained 10" brakes (I've changed out the shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware for new parts) on the backing plate. Today, when I went to install the backing plate on the old spindle, it did not line up. The spindle has the bolt and bracket in the upper right corner, which appears to be "fixed". I tried to line up the other three holes in the backing plate; no go. the whole thing is off center and the one bolt (top right) does not even slide on properly.
Do I need to get new spindles? I hope not, but I can't see any other option.

Thanks in advance for any help. Paul

Sorry, the spindles are different from 9" brakes to 10 inchers. You will need the ones from the car that had your new brakes. The lower ball joints are different as well.

I'll confirm what grumpuscreature says. Here is a pic of the two spindles.
9" on the left

spilndlecompS.JPG

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I did not even think that the lower ball joints would be different as well ( I already bought the two upper and lower new ones today). Guess they will have to go back. What about the wheel bearings; different I suppose as well?
I guess I'll post in the parts wanted section for the spindles.

I'm not positive but I think the 10" spindle shaft is larger diameter.
So you may need different bear.
maybe someone else hear will know for such.
I'll keep checking some other info for you.

Thanks again guys. As I suspected, it looks as though it's going to be more than I originally thought (actually it's lack of thought that got me into this mess). Already one of the members here has mentioned he has a set of 10" spindles of a 1968 GTS; I'll see what the shipping costs are. Hopefully I'll be able to source the bearings new from here as well as the lower ball joints.
Great site, Great advice. Thanks all for making this a terrific place to come to. Paul

Sorry, the spindles are different from 9" brakes to 10 inchers. You will need the ones from the car that had your new brakes. The lower ball joints are different as well.

Thanks again guys. As I suspected, it looks as though it's going to be more than I originally thought (actually it's lack of thought that got me into this mess). Already one of the members here has mentioned he has a set of 10" spindles of a 1968 GTS; I'll see what the shipping costs are. Hopefully I'll be able to source the bearings new from here as well as the lower ball joints.
Great site, Great advice. Thanks all for making this a terrific place to come to. Paul

I believe all 1962-72 drum brake A bodies all used the same upper and lower ball joints. Supposedly; the same years disc brake lower joints will work as well on drum brake spindles but are stronger.

Carquest had all my brake part needs when I swapped out 9 inch drums to 73-up disc. brakes on my 66 Dart.Hope this helps when searching for parts!

9" drum is it's own LBJ and has smaller bolts holding it to the spindle. 10" drum and the K-H disc take the same LBJ.

-
Back