front clutch springs-how many?

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
got the 727 apart for inspection and have decided to put new frictions and steels in her. counted the piston springs and was 9 of them.
I use a Transgo tf3 kit and was wondering how many springs to use with it.

also I have a rollerised rear support. is it worth using on a 600hp street strip combo.
cheers

more springs in the front drum will help reduce 2-3 overlap. while i wouldnt run out and buy that rear support for a street car if you got it, use it.

nice piece but should have included a spirol snap ring.

I am pretty sure it does come with a spiral snap ring. It just doesn't specify. A call would clear that up.

The 24 spring return for the 904 that they sell has one so this one would as well I would think.

Was said to use 12 by local trans shop. This guy builds strong trannys.
And yes it is boosted.

I thought the number of springs correlated with the kickdown band lever. Higher ratios used more springs.

I thought the number of springs correlated with the kickdown band lever. Higher ratios used more springs.

that's what I always thought. number of springs being relative to lever ratio. I have a 4.2 lever which is what I was told to use with the tf3 kit by TSR where I purchased it from.
was going to get a A&A vb from Cope but meant pulling the trans to install the recommended 15 springs. didn't want to do that at the time so tf3 was the option.
the guy at TSR spoke very highly of the tf3.
thinking now I should just ditch the tf3 and go TA cheetah or what ever.

Ol' Carl Munroe says stuff em' all in there and tailor the shift with the orifice plug. The other way is based on percentage of what ratio you are using, all for the 5.0; 4.2 is 15% less so 12 or 13, 3.8 is 25% less so 10 or so 11 on and forth. See where I'm going with this?

The guy from A&A told me today to put all 24 of the 904 multi-spring setup in and call it good without batting an eyelash.

Manual shift works great in TF-2 as well.

Hope that helps.

I Am going to run with 15 springs and and Reverse Manual V.B from S.M.R. Transmissions in Canada

Ol' Carl Munroe says stuff em' all in there and tailor the shift with the orifice plug. The other way is based on percentage of what ratio you are using, all for the 5.0; 4.2 is 15% less so 12 or 13, 3.8 is 25% less so 10 or so 11 on and forth. See where I'm going with this?

The guy from A&A told me today to put all 24 of the 904 multi-spring setup in and call it good without batting an eyelash.

Manual shift works great in TF-2 as well.

Hope that helps.

Cope Racing recommend all 15 springs with their reverse manual vb and a 4.2 lever. will most likely go with that or A&A.

-
Back