front disks..need help..

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
I got this pile of parts off of eBay...

A-body clutch set up, unknown disk brake rotors, calipers, spindles.
no A arms...
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

here's a caliper..any idea what it is from the numbers on it..looks like 73 XLX writen on it ?
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

You have single piston slider calipers so the calipers and caliper brackets will work. Gonna go out on a limb and say what you got will work on an A body if you can scare up the '73-'76 upper control arms.

does anyone make an adapter to mount small ball joints to the large hole disk brake spidle ? seems like a quick fix.

like a machine sleve/tapered spacer

The tapered ball stud isn't the issue. The diameter of the ball joint and the hole in the upper arm is what changed. Would be nice if there was a way to make the hole in early arms larger. Sadly, there aint enough material there t work with.

I did not explane my self...use the stock 1968 A arm..it only takes the small tapered shaft spindle...but the disk brake spindle has a larger hole..manfacture a spacer to put on the stock, small 1968 balljoint shaft that will be correct in dia/taper for the disk brake spindle..

a quick fix !

That would be a thin walled sleeve tapered inside and out.
Would it need it's own draw nut on it ? Safety is manditory.
I'll study the possibilties. We can't do any machinng to the spindle. We have to be able to get it apart again someday without damaging the spindle.
We can't change alignment caracteristics. What else ?

we made sleaves/spacers on Harley drag motorcycles..axles,rocker arms,brakes! fast bikes...but they were'nt heavy like a car.

Assuming its a basic Morse taper used. ISO 9000 tolerences could apply. A sampling of small ball joint studs on the market would be nice though.
There must be a reason this hasn't been done already.
If you have all the components in hand, Look at the obvious DOH factors like stud length and the nut diameter. There might be a special nut needed that tightens against the spindle only. Undercut incase the small end of the sleeve comes out beyond flush since it might. We can sample a limited number of the holes in disc brake spindles too.

You can by everything to convert you Dart to disc brakes at Advance Auto.The only thing you can not buy are the spindles,rotor backing plates,and big ball joint A Arms.Everything I need cost me around $225.00 at Advance.I bought my big ball joint A arms off Ebay a Guy on there sells new Repo's if I remember right they were around $175.00.The backing plates you can by new at Year One or some where but I always find mine at a swap meet new ones cost to much.looks like you already have the spindles
Jim.

probally has'nt been done because of a limited market..most peeps going disk brakes conversion have a magazine attitude...not "race it like it's stolen" !

Material can be added to a crankshaft, would it be possible to add material to a spindle as well ? Maybe a little expensive route to go, but.....

Material can be added to a crankshaft, would it be possible to add material to a spindle as well ? Maybe a little expensive route to go, but.....

That wouldn't be penny wise.

-
Back