front drum brake hub removal?

-

tekslk

Reaction score
Was just doing some thinking, but how do you remove the front hubs if your putting new drums on?

Someone may have a homebrew solution to offer you, but I took mine to CarQuest's machine shop and they swapped them for me. I don't remember how much it cost now, but it wasn't much.

The original ones are "staked" where they mushroom the shoulder of the bolt after the drum is installed. Try to grind some of the staking down and then press the hub out of the drum.

When you say mushroom the shoulder of the bolt are you talking about the lug nut?

The original ones are "staked" where they mushroom the shoulder of the bolt after the drum is installed. Try to grind some of the staking down and then press the hub out of the drum.

I agree KK....The studs are swaged to the drums by mushrooming the knurl area. Grind off the swage before removing, so it doesn't warp the drum....

I've found a 5/8 metal cutting hole saw placed over the stud will cut the swages right off.

I agree KK....The studs are swaged to the drums by mushrooming the knurl area. Grind off the swage before removing, so it doesn't warp the drum....

Swaged - that's the word I was looking for. Thanks C.

I don't see a typical hole saw being deep enough to reach. Most of them have a tooth count/set for cutting wood too. Deep hole saw run at slow rpm with cutting oil could work though.

I am talking about one like this.

Attachments

• HOLE SAW.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 292
Here's what i use if I'm doing that at home, out in the garage.

Get yourself a Dremel, and a carbide bit, to go along with it.
Works good, and you will find a 100 different uses for a Dremel, if you don't already own one.

Attachments

• Dremel 002 (Small).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 269
Most likely your drum has been replaced before, in which case it shouldn't have the swage. I think that was just to hold them together during factory assembly. If so, I have just thrown the drum down on the asphalt (vacant parking lot) until the hub drops down. WD-40 helps. That is the redneck method.

I am talking about one like this.

Rob,

How do you get the "barrel" of the cutter over the stud with the drill in the center? Do you remove the drill bit in the center of the barrel so it doesn't interfere with the stud sticking up?

Rob,

How do you get the "barrel" of the cutter over the stud with the drill in the center? Do you remove the drill bit in the center of the barrel so it doesn't interfere with the stud sticking up?

I was thinking the same thing, but you posted, and asked, first. :dontknow::dontknow:

The center drill bit is adjustable on the one I have. I can run all the way until the tip of the bit just does enter the barrel. A set screw retains it.

I wandered that too with the center drill bit. I like the part about dropping it in parking lot but Im not that lucky.

-
Back