Front End "Death Shake"

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
So the van I got has developed a severe shaking in the front end. At speeds of 50 MPH the front wheels start shaking violently. I looked under the front end and didn't notice any fresh wear marks on any of the front end parts. Is anyone out here aware of this issue. Both front tires are balanced and tires are not showing any unusual wear. Van is a 1999 Dodge Ram Van 3500. It is so bad I can't drive it over 45 MPH.

Idler arm slop will do this.... Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth slowly while you look at the linkage. When you see one part move before the other there is your problem. Either that or your ball joints or control arm bushings are shot.

It's a ball joint or suspension bushings issue for sure.
Just a matter of finding it, but I would highly suspect tierod ends and/or idler arm.

Hey Tom, it could very well be a parts issue,.

Did this start slowly or immediately? I would, just for giggles, look a lot closer at the tires for some unusual deformity. I'm just wondering if some of the belting has broken and caused a bump somewhere in the tire. It doesn't cost anything to look closer.

Pretty much need to look for something loose / play and if not, it's a tire issue.

Jack up under the lower arm so the arm is supporting the weight. Take a pry bar and look for play in the lower ball. Same on upper, and bushings. Any play anywhere can allow this to happen. This is USUALLY a combination of play in front parts along with big tires, balance problem, or some other tire problem. Could be a tire internal problem

You have a good spare? Try it on one side at a time. Maybe even rotate front to back

Frankly, anything that bad should be easy to find

The first car I had that did this was a 70 GTX and the idler arm was way sloppy. The second time I had the same symptoms occur was on a 71 Polara 2dr. The first place I looked was the idler arm and it was also toast. Both exhibited a violent shake at a frequency that reminded me of a dog scratching or Fozzie Bear going waka waka waka....

Hey Tom, it could very well be a parts issue,.

Did this start slowly or immediately? I would, just for giggles, look a lot closer at the tires for some unusual deformity. I'm just wondering if some of the belting has broken and caused a bump somewhere in the tire. It doesn't cost anything to look closer.

^^^
Yuppers,

a 'bump' in extreme instances, Tread shift in most others.
Jack the beast up, spin the tires, 'eyeball' the rotation, if the tread starts
moving around like a Boa, time for tires.

Not sayin a 'hardpart' or parts are not the root cause...
Ck off the simple (read less $) things first :D

-
Back