Front Lowering Springs for 65 Barracuda?

-

65goldcuda

@65_Cuda w/408/727/Dana 60
Reaction score
does anyone know a place that might sell a coil kit that would lower the front of my car by an 1" or 2"? Or is it best to just take my old coils out and cut 1 of the coils off? sorry if this topic has been covered many times..

thanks..

matt.

Might wanna stick your head under there and count how many coils you have, first.

No, this topic has never been discussed on the forums.
edit:Maybe on the 40-50 era cars might use coil springs, but the 60-75 era cars use torsion bars. Use a rachet and socket to lower the car as desired.

I think they all have the same number of coils.

search this forum under suspension and check out the pics and info there. Glad to see a new Mopar Fan here. LOTS of good info ! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
:thumrigh:

You car has torsion bars which are a coil spring that has been un-coiled. Ride height can be adjusted with a wrench.

Look at the "bolt head" in the middle of your lower control arms. Back them out.

Look at the "bolt head" in the middle of your lower control arms. Back them out.

That would lower the suspension. Riding on the bump stops and screwing up the geometry wont be good. Only way to properly get a 1 or 2 lower is with drop spindles.

If something under the front of your car is coiled back out fast before it strikes you and leaves venom.

As others have said you can adjust the ride height by using a 3/4" socket on the bolt that goes straight up from the bottom center of the lower control arm. If it was me I would start by going counter clockwise three complete turns then drive it and see how it looks. then take smaller adjustment from there. One turn and drive tell you're happy with ride height and yes it is easily reversed by going clockwise to raise the front. It does help to jack the front end up when trying to tighten bolts to raise car.

It does affect front end alignment but not horribly like some would lead you to believe. Most of these old cars have worn out bushings and ball joints already that has jacked them up and should be replace. At that time you could have the alignment reset.

If you decide to try and adjust them, take the weight off the suspension before you do. You don't want to be under there if the bolt snaps.(or the threads in the adjuster pull out) Use jack stands...don't trust the jack by itself.

Thanks guys, and apparently I exposed my lack of knowledge and newbieness (if that is a word). My car is very new to me, and it is at the mechanic's having a complete powertrain replacement so I was just assuming it had coils and shocks. So forgive me. But thanks for the advice (a few of you were kind enough to give me a gentle nudge in the right direction while the rest of you laughed at me and kicked me over the cliff). Just kidding I am fine with it, thats what forums are for..so the wise guys can teach the new and dumb guys. I deserve it. That's why I apologized if the topic had been covered many times..I was just being lazy by not doing searches looking for other posts. Thanks..I will send some photos when it is all done. I am pulling out the old 318 that someone stuck in there years ago and am replacing it with a brand new MOPAR 360 with MOPAR aluminum heads, a weiand intake, holley carb, MSD ignition, headers, new exahust, radiator, beef up trans, new drive line and posi rear end..should make about 380-400HP. Very excited..just thought I would try and lower the front end down a little to give it a little rake. (I am already running 235 series tires in rear and 205's in the front which helped some). thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 57203415-30sm.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 57203415-35sm.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 322
While your fish is in the shop, order up a factory service manual, they sell them on ebay, I did and it is very informative reading and will help you and anyone else who's working on a 49 yr old car. FWIW I would leave the ride height alone till you get done with all the other swaps you have planned.

While your fish is in the shop, order up a factory service manual, they sell them on ebay, I did and it is very informative reading and will help you and anyone else who's working on a 49 yr old car. FWIW I would leave the ride height alone till you get done with all the other swaps you have planned.
X2 while your at it download the Mopar Performance Parts Catalog , most of whats in there is still available from your dealer and is priced to clear , SS springs are about 270+ a pair and I just bought the Mopar shocks that go with them for 108 a pair after tax . The shocks and springs will give you the rake you are after the proper way .

On a 66 Barracuda 340 with Edelbrock aluminum heads and stock exhaust manifolds major work had to be done on drivers side head due to stock exhaust manifolds. Do the MP heads clear the stock exhaust manifold or using headers?

Attachments

• 12-5-2012-5 head after grinding leak.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 335
Beautiful car and welcome to the site. Being you made it through the newbie razzing you will enjoy your time here.

On a 66 Barracuda 340 with Edelbrock aluminum heads and stock exhaust manifolds major work had to be done on drivers side head due to stock exhaust manifolds. Do the MP heads clear the stock exhaust manifold or using headers?

I want to see more pictures of your head modification. Have you used these heads with this modification?

-
Back