Front suspension conversion

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
Ok i have a 64 valiant. Standard front end (drum brakes all around)
Front bolt pattern is 4x5, rear is '74 swinger sure grip (4.5x5 bolt pattern)

I would like to convert it to an ALL DISC Big bolt pattern at one time same time.

What would be the best way to go?
:newb:

If budget is no problem Stainless Steel Brake Corp can sell you a complete kit.10 years ago I used their complete kit on a 65 B body and at that time the cost was around $1200.Because of competition, prices have gotten lower and more companies are out there. Check around the internet.

Go get the disc brake spindles and upper control arms from the 74 Swinger that the rearend came out of. Rebuild it as needed and install it in your Valiant. Also get the proportioning valve, and switch to a manual disc brake master cylinder for a 74 Swinger. Google "Dr. Diff" and get one of his rear disc conversion kits. You may or may not need to add an adjustable proportioning valve into the line going to the rear brakes. Dr. Diff can advise you on that. This is the route I plan to take on my 70 Duster. Good luck. :glasses7:

I agree with Jdmopar, and use the front brakes from the '73-'76 Dart/Valiant. To use these you will also have to use the upper control arms from these cars as the late model disk brakes use a larger upper balljoint that won't fit in your original upper control arms. Darter6 is also giving good advice if you have a larger budget. However many of the aftermarket kits advertised prices don't include the proportioning valve nor master cylinder so be aware of that as you add up the cost when making your decision.

Just to the '73-76 brake swap...

You need:

Large ball joint upper control arms (or ball joint sleeves from Dr. Diff)
73+ spindles, can be A body or F/M/J body
Caliper brackets for 10.87 or 11.75" rotors
Rotors, 10.87 or 11.75 (these will be large bolt pattern)
Calipers
disk/drum master cylinder
disk/drum distribution block/combo valve

You can get the spindles, caliper brackets, calipers and even rotors from a F/M/J body car, ie, Diplomat, 5th Ave, New Yorker etc all the way up to 1989, so those are usually available in the local yard. LBJ UCA's are harder to find as you can only get them from '73-'76 a bodies, but on the cheap you can buy a set of adapter sleeves from Dr. Diff for $50 and just use your current SBJ uca's with the sleeves.

Dr. Diff also now sells the 11.75" caliper brackets, which allow for the larger 11.75" rotors to be run (from Cordoba's, Volare's, Fury's etc) with the same stock calipers. Nice upgrade in stopping power, but you also need 15" rims to clear them.

Master cylinder, rotors, calipers, and rubber or braided brake lines are all best purchased new, the core charge usually isn't even enough to warrant pulling the used stuff from the yard. Just ask for stuff from a '74 Dart if you're using the 10.87 brakes, or a '77 Cordoba if you go 11.75".

There are a TON of threads on this swap already if you do a search.

But the Swinger has been gone for years, now what? I got my 66 baracuda spindle setup from POL- Performance Online, not the best of places for mopar parts.

-
Back