Front suspension set up and wheel alignment

-
Wow, great tip on the Boreson box! I will have to do some checking with the rebuild kit from Doctor Diff. It seems like the tie rod sleeves are too long because by hand, I can't make the whole assembly as short as the old ones that are coming out. I don't want to tighten up the tie rod ends and find out I have to take them back out.

Still not sure how long I should make the Hotchkis adjustable strut rods.

Just read the instructions on installing the Hotchkis adjustable strut rods. It says, "Next rotate/thead the body in or out to the desired length. Shortening the strut rod can dial in more positive caster." Sounds good but how long to adjust the rod? I guess I will have to measure the old strut rod and go from there. I will be installing the Moog offset UCA bushings to get more positive caster. How much extra should I attempt with adjustment of the strut rods to move the LCA forward?

Start with the functional length between the K and the LCA being the same as with the stock strut rods for the adjustable strut rod and work from there. You want the LCA to be perpendicular to the frame, and you want it to be free of any binding when it travels up and down. Adjustable strut rods are not for adjusting the alignment specs, although you may see a change in the alignment numbers after installing them. The goal is the free movement of the LCA up and down, while reducing movement fore/aft.

You'll want to have as much of the suspension installed as possible while still being able to check for resistance/binding. So, torsion bars in, UCA's, spindle, LCA's installed. You'll need to remove the torsion bar adjusters so you can cycle the LCA up and down by hand. You'll also need the shocks out, and if you have a front sway bar you will want that disconnected as well. Then cycle the suspension up and down, from bump stop to bump stop, and check for binding. If you know where in the range of travel your ride height is that will be better too, since you'll want that to be the neutral spot. It takes a little trial and error, especially the first time, to get a feel for what is normal resistance and what is binding. When you think you have it good, put another turn on the adjustment in one direction or the other and see what that does. If you're right, it should be more binding, if you're not, you may get less.

I've found with my cars that the adjustable strut rod ends up being a bit shorter than the factory strut rod, but I also use Delrin or poly LCA bushings, so the LCA may be slightly farther forward with that arrangement than with the stock bushings.

I've read in this forum several times that you should adjust your strut rods to achieve zero binding, and that adjusting them to gain additional positive caster can cause binding. If the offset bushings give you less caster than desired, the best solution is to use aftermarket upper control arms. You can get adjustable or those with more caster built into the geometry.
Did you mean binding at the LCA to K member pins? Because usually there is talk of binding at the strut rod heim joint near the front of the K member. I have installed the PST greasable pin kit with poly bushing in the LCA. I was thinking I could shorten the strut rods just a bit (1/16" ??)from the stock ones without binding and to be sure they were actually not longer than the originals.

Did you mean binding at the LCA to K member pins? Because usually there is talk of binding at the strut rod heim joint near the front of the K member. I have installed the PST greasable pin kit with poly bushing in the LCA. I was thinking I could shorten the strut rods just a bit (1/16" ??)from the stock ones without binding and to be sure they were actually not longer than the originals.
See post #27 from the man who's done it many times. :thumbsup:

Start with the functional length between the K and the LCA being the same as with the stock strut rods for the adjustable strut rod and work from there. You want the LCA to be perpendicular to the frame, and you want it to be free of any binding when it travels up and down. Adjustable strut rods are not for adjusting the alignment specs, although you may see a change in the alignment numbers after installing them. The goal is the free movement of the LCA up and down, while reducing movement fore/aft.

You'll want to have as much of the suspension installed as possible while still being able to check for resistance/binding. So, torsion bars in, UCA's, spindle, LCA's installed. You'll need to remove the torsion bar adjusters so you can cycle the LCA up and down by hand. You'll also need the shocks out, and if you have a front sway bar you will want that disconnected as well. Then cycle the suspension up and down, from bump stop to bump stop, and check for binding. If you know where in the range of travel your ride height is that will be better too, since you'll want that to be the neutral spot. It takes a little trial and error, especially the first time, to get a feel for what is normal resistance and what is binding. When you think you have it good, put another turn on the adjustment in one direction or the other and see what that does. If you're right, it should be more binding, if you're not, you may get less.

I've found with my cars that the adjustable strut rod ends up being a bit shorter than the factory strut rod, but I also use Delrin or poly LCA bushings, so the LCA may be slightly farther forward with that arrangement than with the stock bushings.
Thanks! All sounds like good advice! I will let you all know how it comes out.

You can have binding at both, but the binding between the LCA and the pivot pin is the larger problem and the harder one to deal with. The heim at the front of the strut just has to be angled so that the heim can travel through the whole range without running out of side tolerances, and has nothing to do with the length of the strut rod. Just the angle of the slot in the forward mount and the movement of the heim.

-
Back