front sway bar for 69 dart

-

rm69dart

Reaction score
hey guys,

thinking about adding a front sway bar its a budget build car v-8, weekend car with no sway bar tabs. can tabs be welded on lower arms? and what about the addco 150 sway bar are they even worth buying?

hey guys,

thinking about adding a front sway bar its a budget build car v-8, weekend car with no sway bar tabs. can tabs be welded on lower arms? and what about the addco 150 sway bar are they even worth buying?

Yes, tabs can be welded on. There was a recent thread about it with pictures of tabed arms. I will see if I can find it and post you the link.

Be aware there are two different widths of sway bar. You need the sway bar before the tabs are welded on. The 73 and newer is nerrower than the 72 back.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=193255&highlight=lower+control+arm+tabs

This picture is 72 back.
attachment.php

This picture is 73 up.
attachment.php

There is also a thread where a member made a plate that went across the bottom of the lca with the tab on it but I can't find in now.

If you are a cheap bastard, like me, there may be an easier approach. On my 65 Newport, the factory attached the sway bar to the strut rods. I will try that someday on my A-bodies, w/ a junkyard sway bar.

The Addco kit comes with them to bolt on as I recall to the shock bolt, but it's cheese at best. I have one, but had the stock tabs, so I used them as for some reason they lined up better. There are better bars from other MFG's that fit better. These didn't exist when I did mine.

Hellwig!! You won't buy it for $150 but you will be happy you bought it!!

I installed an Addco anti sway bar on my 67 Dart a few years ago. Their crappy universal attachment method to K member sucked so bad it loosened up in 3000 miles. Totally unacceptable, so redesign of its mounts was needed.

Here is what I came up with:
http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=304376&highlight=addco+bar+mount#304376

The bar now works very well, has not loosen its mounts, or worn link bushings in over 7000 miles.

If I were to install a sway bar in another A Body I would spend the extra dough and get a much better engineered bar.

Hey Dano,
Did that addco kit make an improvement on your car.

Well I put it on in 1998 and drove the car for the first time two weeks go....:burnout: I have some engine issues to work out but it felt sound. The bar is good, the hardware not so much.

Its hard to but it into corners with a manual box with a steering ratio of 24:1.

Here is the Hellwig 55906 mounted on an A-Body. Our sway bar will work with the stock tabs or the mounts provided in our kit. Our mounts do bolt to the shock bolt but they are made from .360" thick tempered spring steel and we replace the shock bolt with a 7/16" grade 8 bolt

394071649.jpg

394071648.jpg

Here is the Hellwig 55906 mounted on an A-Body. Our sway bar will work with the stock tabs or the mounts provided in our kit. Our mounts do bolt to the shock bolt but they are made from .360" thick tempered spring steel and we replace the shock bolt with a 7/16" grade 8 bolt

Hi Dave,

Do you just sell the K-frame mounts? As noted I have a Addco bar from two decades ago and would like to use a better designed mount.

I've had a few people use our mounts with the Addco bar but the Addco bar has different geometry and they had to cut the ends of the bar to make it work. The Addco bar will bolt to our mounts but the arms of the sway bar end up being too long to mount the end links.

I've had a few people use our mounts with the Addco bar but the Addco bar has different geometry and they had to cut the ends of the bar to make it work. The Addco bar will bolt to our mounts but the arms of the sway bar end up being too long to mount the end links.

That's what I was afraid of....

Thanks Dave.

-
Back