Frustrated

-

Lars

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my 70 together. I got the engine back from the machinist back in November. Cost more then it should have, and took two weeks longer then I expected. Tried to assemble the engine. Ran into an oil pump clearance problem with the ARP bolts, a week later, got a new bolt from ARP, and it fit. Then all my timing cover bolts manage to disappear, spent two days getting that straighted out. Then the intake bolts wouldn't fit, had to ham fist something together to get the intake on. Went back later and was able to put some better fitting bolts in. Then my MP black wrinkle valve covers wouldn't fit, ground on one to try and get it to fit, but still would fit right, had to reuse the grimy nasty chrome valve covers (that I hate) back on it.

Then today I tried to stab the engine, turns out the driver's side mount is different on a 70 318 then it is on a 72 360. This isn't the width problem, there aren't enough mounting holes to bolt the bracket on the engine. So I had to order a driver's side mount, which I couldn't really afford, but I don't have a choice. The biggest problem is it'll be late next week before I get it at best. I was hoping to fire the engine on the 26th as I'm extremely paranoid that all the cam break in fluid is going to drip off the cam and it'll wipe a lobe. Plus I somehow managed to chip my new paint in the engine bay while I was trying to get it in. Now because of this mount problem I probably won't get the engine stabbed until next year. For such a simple swap this has been extremely frustrating.

On top of the fact that I've been trying to get the car together while working 60-70 hours a week, and as we get closer towards the end of the year they are only going to want me to work more and more hours. I'm almost afraid to go and try to do anything else at this point because of what might go wrong next. :(

Based on the number of hours you are working - I'd leave the Dart start up until the new year when you are more rested. These projects are meant to be a stress reliever - not stress creators.
You need to make yourseld a check list before you attempt to fire it up.
In my opinion, its not the cam lube thats the most important - its the fire in the hole within a couple of revolutions of the motor and then keeping it running for at least 10 minutes @ 2500-3000rpm that will make or break the cam/lifter wear pattern. I do mine in 3 -±10 minute runs at that rpm varying it during the run in - neighbours love it :toothy7: That takes planning and carefull attention to details. If you are unsure of anything - ask the board.
A couple weeks late is a whole lot better than an R&R.
M2CsW.
good luck

RELAX son!! The more you try to push it the more damage you'll cause, the more things will break, and the more frustrated you'll become. Do you see a dog-chasing-tail rotational loop coming here? :) The lube shouldn't drip off the cam that fast, and rushing things isn't going to get it to stay on there any longer.
I've been in your position half my life it seems. Hurry to meet the self-imposed deadline and keep screwing things up. Now I take my time and when it's done it's done - not before. Life's too short to have your panty hose in a knot this time of year. :clock: Have a brewski :drinkers: and may the FORCE be with you. :angel9:

That sounds pretty typical for my vehicle projects. If it can go wrong it will and nothing ever goes smoothly. Take a deep breath, relax and keep it in perspective. It's just a car, after all. You'll get it, just don't give up. I wouldn't worry about the cam, that stuff is designed to stick on there.

it realy sucks when nothing works as planed, but stepp back have a coldbeer relax and let the stuf take its time and it will work out real good:)

Don't fret too bad. That's why we love or MOPARS so much :lol: I went through about the same problems...."only way more" when I did my first plymouth re-build. I must have had the engine out about five times by the time I got the dam thing to work correctly. One thing however, I didn't know about this forum to help me out. Take your time and ask mega questions and it will all work out. I do feel your pain!! with those little things THAT BITE :angry4:

I have had 3 years of similar experiences. The kiss of death is"that 360 will go right in where your /6 was". But it is really cool when she starts & runs and kicks butt too.
I'm with ya' Lars, I only have about 3 years more to go and she might be "done".

I feel the pain, being 21, working 50+ hours a week, then going to school right after that in the evenings, four nights a week. Add all of this up and not being a procratinator, the whole project car deal can be a hair puller. Try to prevent that. I used to always be in a rush, but you know what, with these old cars, something else will fail later, so dont try to make everything exactly perfect at once. It will turn this hobby into a hassle. Instead, treat it like a stress reliever. I used to rush to get the timing just right on the 340 in the Cuda, or rebuild the suspension on the duster, or other things like that. Now, I just come home from work and take my time on things. Its something to look forward to at work after selling and application matching bolts and studs all day( I work at ARP's custom office, just started actually). I can thank my father, who taught me everything to know about cars for the 'take your time' speech with cars. I enjoy working on the cars and his cars with him(he also works 60 hours a week a contruction supervisor driving a Kenworth and 35ft trailer with CATs on it) Its his relaxation too. I enjoy teaching my loving girlfriend of 4 years about these cars during these times as well. So just take your time and relax. You can better plan your next moves on the car as well by doing this. Oh, and while your drinking that beer, do what I do and reflect back on what youv'e overcomed and what the project will be like in the end. I guarantee that will liven your spirits about how things are going.

Well, I'm a naturally a pretty high strung guy. Last engine I did, I R&R'd it in a month, that was including assembling the long block. This was while I was working 40 hours a week and had to drive over an hour one way just to get to the car to work on it. The Dart has always been hard to work on, it's like it's possessed. I've had this thing 8 years and it has never gone together right the first time. I don't know why. :/

I'm going to try and just slow down a bit, and concentrate on the little things I still have to do. Gonna stab the trans, put the battery box back in, etc.

I can relate to the high strung thing!,I have a hard time when things dont go smoothly or arent perfect-wich as we all know is all the time on cars.Its funny for me to be in this hobby but it drives me to do a little better with what resources I have.I have no real advice but what works for me is to walk away when it gets bad and come back with a positive attitude and things semm to work out.Its hard for me to do at times but the next day I feel brand new and I see all those huge problems as the little ones they really are.

lead69 said:
I can relate to the high strung thing!,I have a hard time when things dont go smoothly or arent perfect-wich as we all know is all the time on cars.Its funny for me to be in this hobby but it drives me to do a little better with what resources I have.I have no real advice but what works for me is to walk away when it gets bad and come back with a positive attitude and things semm to work out.Its hard for me to do at times but the next day I feel brand new and I see all those huge problems as the little ones they really are.

That's what I do to, my big problem is I sit in front of a computer most of the day and it stews in the back of my mind on what I "should" have done, but didn't do.

The reason I'am worried about he cam lube is because it's that red stuff that Comp packs with their cams. It seems awfully runny. I removed the inner springs on my valve springs for break in, and dumped a bottle of the Comp break in lube (lot of zinc in it), so hopefully it'll be alright.

Don't worry!! Be happy you've got it this far. :salute: And if you take a vote on it most people here have been there before. So like all other post's here said Injoy your hobby. :blob:
we now you have it in ya :coffee2:

merkel1.jpg

I feel your pain...

Numbers matching motor that came with my '73 Satellite (400)...previous owner didn't know it's history, but was pretty sure it was a running motor. I tore it down to re-gasket it and this is what I found -- #7 & 8 rods welded to the crank.

DSCF0881b.jpg

So I go and buy a '77 440 from another guy...again, not sure of it's history, but pretty sure it was a running motor pulled out of a truck that smoked a tranny, not the motor. I pull the heads and find the #5 cyl about filled with water and the rings rusted to the wall.

So.....now I know I have a good 400 from a buddy of mine, but he needed to keep the distributor for his own car. I said, "No problem, I have a brand new one." Yeah, well guess what? I can't find my damn distributor!! Tore the garage apart and every box I can think of...only thing I can think is I gave/sold it to someone and don't remember who... I've asked all my buddies and a couple of on-line friends and, nope, didn't give it to them!!

So, I decided to do some body work and get her prepped for paint...so far, that is coming along okay.

Yeah, I tried to stab the trans today, and I couldn't find any bolts to bolt up the tail housing to the tranny cross member. No big deal, I'll get them later, well, floor jack won't go up high enough to get the trans in position. Sucker is low on jack oil. OK, I have a new bottle. 30 minutes I'm still looking, finally found the jack oil, but now I have to get ready for work and it'll have to wait until tomorrow. :/ I hate working 11 hour shifts.

Hoo ha! Got the tranny in. Had to jack the car up two more times to get it high enough, but its in!

-
Back