Fuel and Temp Gauge

-

pdcs

Reaction score
When I turn off the car, the engine temp and fuel gauge stay powered!!

Any suggestions?

Find the power supply wire of the harness for the guages and find out what constant hot wire it's connected to.

Do they indicate right when operating? I.e, does the fuel gage drop with the fuel level in the tank like it should? Old gage movements have been known to be sticky.

Either a bad ignition switch, boogered up wiring, or a failure in the wiring. If no gomer ever touched your wires, I would first look at the bulkhead connector. The thick black and red wires (always live) can melt the plastic and drop down to touch terminals they aren't supposed to. Common and many posts on fixes.

OK, on gage operation. Essentially, as said above, the 5v gage regulator (called a 'voltage limiter' by the factory) is getting power all the time; its power should be cut off when you cut off the ignition switch. So, as Bill indicates, there is a short somewhere, or someone messed with the wiring in the past and got it wrong. If shorted, that is cause for significant concern, and needs to be run down and fixed ASAP. (I would keep a fire extinguisher in the car 'til this is fixed.)

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

Go here first and get an idea of what your working with before you start tangling with wiring.

Most problems are easy to fix and if you read the diagrams first they will save you tons of time and frustration.

If your not sure how to read them just ask...

Good luck.

Mop

Bulk head connectors are mint !NO burnt wires.so I will look into this further on the weekend

-
Back