Fuel cell leak

-

70net440

Reaction score
Anyone have a problem getting the bulkhead fittings to seal up on a plastic fuel cell? I got my brand new Summit cell and can't get it to stop seeping. I've tried to tighten them up as best as I can, but no luck. Is there a good way get a wrench on the inside part of the fitting? I noticed in the instructions it says that a leak in this area is not a warranty item. I guess I should have waited for the Jaz cell that was backorderd, damn rain has cancelled all the races around here.

make 2 gaskets out of cork and use pipe tread dealer on each side. remove the inlet, there are about 15 or so bolts, so you can get your arm in the tank to hold the fitting.

I'll also say be careful of overtightening... You can force the gaskets out of position on occasion...

Thanks for the replies. I found a similar thread on Moparts. It seems like the washers they supply aren't thick enough and the fittings are bottoming out before making a tight seal. Using o-rings or making gaskets out of some fuel safe rubber was also suggested.

Anyone have a problem getting the bulkhead fittings to seal up on a plastic fuel cell? I got my brand new Summit cell and can't get it to stop seeping. I've tried to tighten them up as best as I can, but no luck. Is there a good way get a wrench on the inside part of the fitting? I noticed in the instructions it says that a leak in this area is not a warranty item. I guess I should have waited for the Jaz cell that was backorderd, damn rain has cancelled all the races around here.

yessir!, I went throught the same thing, I removed the ring that held the cap, pulled out the foam inside and removed the fitting and put an o ring on it and reinstalled it. It's been over a year and not one single drip since then.

My problem now is the top of the cell collapsing down.

yessir!, I went throught the same thing, I removed the ring that held the cap, pulled out the foam inside and removed the fitting and put an o ring on it and reinstalled it. It's been over a year and not one single drip since then.

My problem now is the top of the cell collapsing down.
Make sure the top has a vent open with a line out the trunk floor. If it has a rollover valve, it may be stuck closed.

Make sure the top has a vent open with a line out the trunk floor. If it has a rollover valve, it may be stuck closed.

yea that's the crazy part about it, i had no vent line installed when i noticed it collapsed. ( i have fuel in it but have'nt raced it yet.)

Other wise thanks, I have no idea if it has a rollover valve in the vent. but i'll look tomorrow.

-
Back