Fuel Cell- Where to mount it

-

draginmopars

Reaction score
picked this up at a swap meet,
thought the 17 gallon (running E-85)
would be better than a 10 gallon I have

30" x 17" x 7 "

want to be able to get to the spare tire if needed.

here I can still fill the cell

007_zpsda73fe21.jpg

008_zps140cdca6.jpg

have thought to move it forward, for more trunk space
In front of the cell would be wasted space

012_zpsbc51d873.jpg

But, then i would have to put the fuel fill assembly in the filler panel
and a short tube to the top of the cell, in order to add fuel

010_zps4b402447.jpg

or move it to the rear,maybe sink it into the spare tire well ????
mount the spare tire forward

014_zpsb2efa491.jpg

What would work best ?

Don't want to use a stock tank cause
The girdle on the Dana, will hit the stock tank
plus need the space for the exhaust pipes

You should read the NHRA rule book if you intend on racing it.

You should read the NHRA rule book if you intend on racing it.

It will have a fire wall between the truck and driver

1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS
Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside
of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame
and/or steel body. Cool cans, fuel-distribution blocks, etc. must be
located at least 6 inches forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area on
rear-wheel-drive (RWD) vehicles, and on opposite side of
flywheel/housing area on front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles. Fuel
pressure gauge isolators, with steel braided line, may be mounted
on firewall.
Tanks: When permitted by class regulations, fuel tanks located
outside body and/or frame must be enclosed in a steel tube frame
constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .058 chromoly or .118
mild steel tubing. All fuel tanks must be isolated from the driver’s
compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to prevent any fuel
from entering the driver’s compartment. All fuel tanks must have a
pressure cap and be vented outside of body. A positive-locking
screw-on fuel tank cap is mandatory on all open-bodied cars.
Insulated fuel tanks prohibited. When used, fuel cells must have a
metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside of body
lines or trunk floor, excluding hose connection area in rear. Nonmetallic
fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame.

Cool. I didn't know whether the rules stated anything about the fuel outlet(s) being outside the body or not. Always best to know all that first.

That said, I like the location in front of the spare tire where you can still access the filler. That's pretty smart.

Fuel cell in the spare tire area for many reasons. The 2 biggest are:

1. Accessibility....You will be adding fuel often, but your spare tire will get almost no use at all (hopefully). For that reason I would put the thing that gets almost no use (spare tire) in the most inconvenient to reach area, because you probably won't need to use it.

2. Weight transfer....You wan't the weight as far back, and low as possible to help the car hook (assuming you race on occasion, and like traction). If it were me, I would sink it in the spare tire well. Just remember, per NHRA rules, if you have the sump hanging out side of the body you will need to shield it with metal.

Fuel cell under the car with the fill tube outside of the car where it belongs.

Tail pipes out to the bumper where they belong. This is with a mini tub.

Attachments

• 10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 292
Most often the spare will never be needed anyway. Here's a link to pics of my fuel cell install, note the pics are backwards from finish to start ;)

Another point to note: The spare tire well is usually visible from the rear of the car. When I made the box to incert the cell I made it a bit shallower so it sits 1/2" above the rear valance to give it a clean look from behind

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_142254498145211&key=508e022f256315a50e8e5af8c001704f&libId=a6fc0ac1-4981-4995-bf8c-45a4b997fac3&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D271754&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fs42.photobucket.com%2Fuser%2Fmoparnutt340%2Fslideshow%2FFuel%2520Cell%2520Pics&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D9218310&title=71%20Dart%20Swinger%20project%20Street%20Machine%20-%20Members%20Restorations%20-%20Mopar%20Forum&txt=FUEL%20CELL%20PICS

drag car? auto-x? street? everything?
on anything but the street, your going to remove the spare before running the car, so pick the best place weight transfer wise for the fuel cell.
if your not going to install a back seat it's a great place for a spare tire mount. provided you can get to it without removing a seat :wink:

Most often the spare will never be needed anyway. Here's a link to pics of my fuel cell install, note the pics are backwards from finish to start ;)

Another point to note: The spare tire well is usually visible from the rear of the car. When I made the box to incert the cell I made it a bit shallower so it sits 1/2" above the rear valance to give it a clean look from behind

drag car? auto-x? street? everything?
on anything but the street, your going to remove the spare before running the car, so pick the best place weight transfer wise for the fuel cell.
if your not going to install a back seat it's a great place for a spare tire mount. provided you can get to it without removing a seat :wink:

X2 on no spare.

If you have a posi, the spare needs to either be for the front or the same diameter as the rear tires. Basically a full size spare. I'm not dropping that kind of cash only to add weight. AAA membership is 99$ per year. You know how many times I've had a flat tire on my cars? zero..

I need my truck for storage as I street drive my car as well as race it. I don't like gas fumes in my car either.

The silver car I cut the trunk floor out and had a tub made to fit the fuel cell.

The purple one I bought a cell from hot rod city garage which mounts in the factory tank location. I would never use trunk mount cell again. No need.

Attachments

• 00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 251
-
Back