Fuel filter question

-

Reaction score
Where do you guys like to run your fuel filters, before or after the fuel pump? What can I get for a decent fuel filter that will do a good job of catching stuff before it gets to the carb. Maybe there is no better one so I need multiple in different locations?

I was told recently its no good to have one before the pump cause it causes strain on the pump? Then someone else suggested I put one before the pump.

I recently removed and installed my fuel tank and directly afterward I had a problem with my carb and junk in it.

Where do you guys like to run your fuel filters, before or after the fuel pump? What can I get for a decent fuel filter that will do a good job of catching stuff before it gets to the carb. Maybe there is no better one so I need multiple in different locations?

I was told recently its no good to have one before the pump cause it causes strain on the pump? Then someone else suggested I put one before the pump.

I recently removed and installed my fuel tank and directly afterward I had a problem with my carb and junk in it.
==========
I have 2 outlets on my stock tank. both 1/2" pipe w/ shut off valves and 1/2" in line filters, then into a y , and into the rear mounted pump. no problems, all 1/2" lines to the hi pressure fuel inj. pump.

I would install it after the pump right before your carb. WIX (NAPA Gold) and FRAM make good filters. You may want to get a clear one just to monitor if you still have contamination in your fuel for a while and then go with a metal one for safety later on. Did you reinstall the original tank or a new one? Check your sending unit that mounts to the tank for corrosion. Mine was full of crud. I used some safety wire with a small piece of cloth attached to the end of it and pulled it through the tube several times until it came out clean. With your fuel line disconnected at the tank and carb, pour a little bit of gas in the line and blow it out several times with compressed air. Pour a bit of gas in the line each time before blowing it out to act like a slug and push all the crap out.

fresh sock at the inlet and one before the carb. Electrics push so nothing before those, vacuums pull so you could run one back there but its not that critical. I had a plastic one seperate on me recently, the filter came unglued in the can so it was just flopping around, dumping all that crud right into the carb and that mucked my carb inlet up. Apperantly, the piece of crap was too big to make it past my inlet so it just stuffed it and I had no flow to the bowl. I was fortunate to have a big ol' sight glass on that carb and saw just a trickle coming in with an electric pump.

If you have one before the pump IT MUST BE a special filter. Filters cause pressure drop, and this is WAY more significant under vacuum/ suction conditions.

==========
I have 2 outlets on my stock tank. both 1/2" pipe w/ shut off valves and 1/2" in line filters, then into a y , and into the rear mounted pump. no problems, all 1/2" lines to the hi pressure fuel inj. pump.
Thanks, this is a stock set-up Im running right now though ( 1979 )

I would install it after the pump right before your carb. WIX (NAPA Gold) and FRAM make good filters. You may want to get a clear one just to monitor if you still have contamination in your fuel for a while and then go with a metal one for safety later on. Did you reinstall the original tank or a new one? Check your sending unit that mounts to the tank for corrosion. Mine was full of crud. I used some safety wire with a small piece of cloth attached to the end of it and pulled it through the tube several times until it came out clean. With your fuel line disconnected at the tank and carb, pour a little bit of gas in the line and blow it out several times with compressed air. Pour a bit of gas in the line each time before blowing it out to act like a slug and push all the crap out.
I have a napa gold clear one on there now and no problems untl just recently, I was hoping there might be an up-graded one that I might get, not looking to get exotic but it wouldnt kill me to spend 15 or 20 dollars for a super nice fuel filter that really cause and kept jut about anything thrown at it.

I didnt replace the tank, only removed it cause I thought it needed to be done, as it turned out I had an issue with fuel delivery cause of a kinked rubber hose.

I install mine right where the Mopar engineers decided it should be.
Where was that

fresh sock at the inlet and one before the carb. Electrics push so nothing before those, vacuums pull so you could run one back there but its not that critical. I had a plastic one seperate on me recently, the filter came unglued in the can so it was just flopping around, dumping all that crud right into the carb and that mucked my carb inlet up. Apperantly, the piece of crap was too big to make it past my inlet so it just stuffed it and I had no flow to the bowl. I was fortunate to have a big ol' sight glass on that carb and saw just a trickle coming in with an electric pump.
You mean the inlet down in the tank, where do you get the socks, I did not know they were avail. separately and Im sure my local Napa guy wont be much help either unless I give him the actual part number.

If you have one before the pump IT MUST BE a special filter. Filters cause pressure drop, and this is WAY more significant under vacuum/ suction conditions.
What sort of a special filter do you suggest? 79 D-150 Adventurer 318 stock

Thanks, this is a stock set-up Im running right now though ( 1979 )

I have a napa gold clear one on there now and no problems untl just recently, I was hoping there might be an up-graded one that I might get, not looking to get exotic but it wouldnt kill me to spend 15 or 20 dollars for a super nice fuel filter that really cause and kept jut about anything thrown at it.

I didnt replace the tank, only removed it cause I thought it needed to be done, as it turned out I had an issue with fuel delivery cause of a kinked rubber hose.

Where was that

You mean the inlet down in the tank, where do you get the socks, I did not know they were avail. separately and Im sure my local Napa guy wont be much help either unless I give him the actual part number.

What sort of a special filter do you suggest? 79 D-150 Adventurer 318 stock
mine is far from stock. I have done 4 cars the way I described. You certainly don`t need my set up. I was merely pointing out that theres more than one way to skin a cat. I didn`t see how old ur car was, my stock stuff had completely rusted and fell apart. If ur messing w/ a 40 -50 yr old car, I`d replace everything in the fuel system--stock.

mine is far from stock. I have done 4 cars the way I described. You certainly don`t need my set up. I was merely pointing out that theres more than one way to skin a cat. I didn`t see how old ur car was, my stock stuff had completely rusted and fell apart. If ur messing w/ a 40 -50 yr old car, I`d replace everything in the fuel system--stock.
I could tell yours was far from stock by your decription, mine is stock 1979, N.M truck, far from rusty but on the same token I think minimal maintenance done to it throughout the years. Can you recommend a filter upgrade, I dont mind spending something to get better results. I do like the see thru filter of some kind so I can tell when its getting dirty

That NAPA Gold filter you have now is a good filter. Just clean the carb, get a new sock, and clear out those fuel lines. Those socks deteriorate to nothing and get sucked up easily. The fibers look like toothbrush bristles in your filter.

-
Back