fuel gauge sorta works?

-

Hyperballsmcgee

Reaction score
the gas gauge in my 74 Scamp is all the way down, then when the key is turned it moves up to E but doesn't go past that. I filled the tank two days ago and it was still on E. what's got me stumped is that it goes from resting position up to E when the key is turned. all fuses checked out with a voltmeter. any suggestions? I have zero experience with fuel sending units and very little with wiring.

the fuel gauge operates on 5 volts which it gets the positive, from the voltage limiter when its is powered up by the ignition key. and the ground (or negative) is supplied by going through a rheostat that is connected to a float that is installed in the fuel tank, so you either have a bad voltage limiter that plugs into a socket at the back of the instrument panel ( a 3/4" by 1 1/2" approx. metal can ) or on the negative side a bad tank ground, bad rheostat, or stuck float. a quick test is to pull the plug wire off the sending unit on the gas tank and ground it with the key on, and the gas gauge should go all the way to full, if it does then your problem is on the ground side, if its no different, then its the voltage limiter

-
Back