Fuel Gauge throwing me for a loop

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
OK, so the fuel gauge in my 68 Dart has been acting up.

Every so often it won't move from full rest at EMPTY (full Left @ rest).

Sometimes when it does this, if I wiggle and tap gently on the Voltage Limiter it comes back on.

Such (sort of) was the case yesterday...The Day before (thursday) all was OK with the gauge and had been so for months.

Yesterday, I turn the ignition key to ON, and No Gauge.

I took out the Voltage Limiter, cleaned contacts on it AND on the printed circuit board...no go.

I got a New Old Style voltage limiter I had bought previously from NAPA (PN -VRC601), installed it - Still No Go.

I re-installed the old Voltage Limiter in place last night an figured I'd work on the problem today (maybe run an external Ground wire to the Voltage Limiter casing)...

BUT, as I got inside the car today, before messing with anything, I turned the Key ON, and the Fooking fuel Gauge WORKS..!!!

WTF..!!!??!!

Any ideas..?

--

LOL The stamped hex nuts holding the gauge and its contact posts to the printed circuit board are probably loose. Taping on the voltage limiter shakes everything a little. Tapping on the glass does nothing except break something by the way.
Take those 2 nuts off and hand deck them on a piece of sand paper. The gauge will shift around just a little in the holes and the nuts will likely land on a new location. Don't overtighten those nuts.

LOL The stamped hex nuts holding the gauge and its contact posts to the printed circuit board are probably loose. Taping on the voltage limiter shakes everything a little. Tapping on the glass does nothing except break something by the way.
Take those 2 nuts off and hand deck them on a piece of sand paper. The gauge will shift around just a little in the holes and the nuts will likely land on a new location. Don't overtighten those nuts.

YES..!

That was IT... :cheers:

Thank You...

Those little "Gauge" ( 3/8 ) nuts were loose, especially the one on the Left in the pic below. That one was only "finger-tight"....

You know what they say: The problem is the nut behind the Steering Wheel...8)

7.jpg

-
Back