Fuel gauge wiring back to tank.

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I reinstalled the wiring in my 74 Duster, and I just realized that I don't currently have a wire going between the fuel sending unit and the fuel gauge. I remember from taking it apart that the wire enters the cab through a hole in the floor pan above the sending unit, however I don't remember if that wire connects to the rear wiring harness or how it gets back to the dash. I tagged the connectors on my rear harness and I didn't have any extra connectors or wires there.

Even when I went through the dash wiring harness checking for issues, I don't remember seeing a connection point fore the fuel gauge wire. Does anyone know if this wire goes back all by itself to the gauge cluster or what? I started to look in the FSM but haven't found anything yet.

Also, I intend to use braided line for a fuel line from front to back, so will I be OK to replace the ground strap that bridged the rubber hose section to the original steel line with a ground jumper to the chassis?

Cley

That wire is part of the trunk area rear harness. It goes up front in that harness, through the kick panel connector and up to the cluster

So far as ground, yes, use whatever. Probably "the best" would be to solder a pigtail near the base of one of the line nipples before you installed the sender. Some guys just wrapped a wire around the nipple and put a clamp around it.

-
Back