Fuel Injection add on??

-

73DrtSptr

Reaction score
I have a 340 that is pretty mild ( putting out around 375hp). I currently have a holley with vacuum secondaries on it and I am considering switching to an aftermarket throttle body injection system, such as the fast fuel or the MSD atomic system. The main reason I am doing the is to improve the driveability of the car.I am just curious if anybody has made the switch and which system is the best. Currently I am leaning toward the MSD because I already have a MSD 6AL ignition box and if I switch from the electronic distributor to a small cap HEI distributor the Atomic system will also monitor and adjust the timing. Is this the best way to go or should I just go with like the FAST system that is also self tuning but doesn't adjust the timing??

Any ideas will be helpful, pretty expensive upgrade and I only want to do it once and wish I had gone a different way

Fast has a fully electronic distbuter that you can buy just pop it in and set it to zero timing and tell the computer what you want it to be set at but you have to go to their site to get it neither summit or jegs has the one for a SB

My brother did the Fast 2.0 on his 520 ci big block using the stock distributor. I simply locked it out and phased the rotor and trigger wheel then synced it with the 2.0 system. I read a thread on moparts or FABO it was not straight forward but took less than a day to complete. I and most everyone recommends an in tank fuel pump he built his own sump and it doesnt uncover until an 1/8th tank or less.
The MSD system is what I am looking at for a mild small block due to its simplisity and timing control. The 2.0 is awsome but more than needed for a less radical build.

Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the MSD Atomic system with the small cap HEI distributor. Should be here by middle of the week,I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck on the MSD. I went with FAST Ez efi a few years ago over the MSD when it first came out because MSD was a returnless fuel system which I didnt care for.

Overall Im happy with the FAST system. Hasn't caused me any issues, just need to follow the instuction to a tee. No short cuts, Most of the problems I hear about usaully get traced back to them not installing properly.

I was not happy that FAST came out with the new version instead of offering the upgrades they promised to come when I bought the system. It almost like they just built a new system of the base of the old and gave up on the orginal 1.0 version. When I purchased the system they talked about continuing to develope the system for more option, that never happened.

I am also a little bummed that it doesnt work with poweradders, that was one of the promised upgrades that never came.

So in the end if I want a great running N/A motor than the FAST Ez efi 1.0 system was is a good choice but I dont get any of the fancy touch screens or fancy looks over the new systems, and my power adder option never came. FAST does offer a new sportman version that does work with poweradders but it was be another $1000 to make the switch. which may happen someday I dont know.

Attachments

• 886722_672178042795527_206416174_o.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 406
Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the MSD Atomic system with the small cap HEI distributor. Should be here by middle of the week,I'll let you know how it goes.
Getting ready to do EFI for '69 340 mostly stock. Did you pick one for sure and get installed? If so how is it working.
Thanks

I could be wrong but in my opinion the HP stuff is just about the most configurable and "growable." You can convert it later to multiport, and it "does" all sorts of extra stuff.

Mine is a mish-mash. I started out buying a used Holley Commander 950 TBI 4bbl setup, and later bought the later HP ECU and harness for it.

I nearly went with Megasquirt, and may yet if I live long enough "to play" LOL

Still others have hacked up GM computers over at "The Binder Planet" and built their own, using re-burned chips, as the GM chips are socketed.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Yeah , a TBI and megasquirt, easy peasy :)

I have an EZ-EFI2 on my Dart. The only problem I have had with my system is the MAP sensor went bad after three months. Was a pain to change and put the throttle body back together. I bought this system because I'm an info junky. I can see everything this system is doing on one screen. For me it was a toss up between this and the MSD. I polled some friends and they all liked the FAST system so that's what I went with. Pretty happy with it. I don't like the fact that it can't take a turbo. In hindsight, I should have done a MegaSquirt system.

To be fair, a much cheaper solution to driveability on a 375 hp, is a 650DP, on a dualplane and a sharp tune.
With good heads,and a good Dcr, I imagine youre running about a 230* or so,cam. That,with carb, should be real easy to tune and when sharp, will be gangbusters.
I run a 360combo like that, with a 750DP.Most excellent driveability.
If you have your heart set on EFI,(I did at one time)I wouldnt want to dissuade you.But if your combo is not well tuned as carbureted, you will still have your hands full tuning it as EFI. Please, please,dont take it personal.

TBI systems have one thing over a well sorted carb, and that is fuel cut out during deceleration. otherwise they are pretty much just engine bay bling.

Second that. Multiport on the best intake you can find, or you're really not gaining much.

To be fair, a much cheaper solution to driveability on a 375 hp, is a 650DP, on a dualplane and a sharp tune.
With good heads,and a good Dcr, I imagine youre running about a 230* or so,cam. That,with carb, should be real easy to tune and when sharp, will be gangbusters.
I run a 360combo like that, with a 750DP.Most excellent driveability.
If you have your heart set on EFI,(I did at one time)I wouldnt want to dissuade you.But if your combo is not well tuned as carbureted, you will still have your hands full tuning it as EFI. Please, please,dont take it personal.
I agree with this.

I went with the MSD atomic system. Originally, I went with the returnless system, HATED IT. A lot of low RPM issues. Put the return system upgrade on, works great now. Very happy with it. Although, it did take some time to get everything adjusted, self learning system is rather slow and frustrating.

Personally I believe even carbs should have a return system. Whether it's a simple orifice return, or a return regulator, this helps with vapor lock / fuel boiling.

-
Back