Fuel Injection - explain this to me like I am 6 years old

-
I finally found out why I am getting such bad MPGs.

Normally if I am going to take the car for a longer ride, I will fuel up before I leave. I pay at the pump so I jump back in and leave. Today I fueled up the Duster, but I needed to pee before leaving. As I came out I could see a puddle forming below my car.

Turns out the tank is leaking, when I took it on the drives., it leaked out as I was driving and was below the leak when I got home, so It never leaked here at the house. This time I saw the leak as I was delayed leaving the pumps

I am pretty sure this is the problem

Further info.
I just replaced the gas tank on the car. After I got it back in I noticed that the portion of the locking ring that is permanently attached to the gas tank, seemed a little non symmetrical. I could not tell for sure exactly where the gas was leaking. I knew it was from the sending unit area, but did not see exactly where. So rather than removing the tank again, I took some Permatex Motoseal and glopped it around the outer rim of that locking ring and worked it in with a brush. It says it takes 20 minutes to "fully seal" but I do not trust that, so I will wait till tomorrow to refill the tank and see if the leak still exists

-
Back