fuel line return ?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
how can you check to see if your fuel line return is working....also if it is working will you have fuel pressure on your gauge at the cab after you shut it off....

Only way to tell is to pull off the line and put it in a bucket, or if your tank is low on fuel, you may be able to hear it going back into the tank.

Some residual pressure will remain on your gauge, sometimes. 2-3 lbs is typical to see after the car has sat for a few days.

Only way to tell is to pull off the line and put it in a bucket, or if your tank is low on fuel, you may be able to hear it going back into the tank.

Some residual pressure will remain on your gauge, sometimes. 2-3 lbs is typical to see after the car has sat for a few days.
Ok...thanks with it running..gas should come out of the return line...

if the return line is between the pump and carb you wont have any pressure after it's shut off

if you pinch off the return line your fuel pressure should go up with it running

You can't have a return line before the pump, you are sucking from both lines.

Ok
Nice...never thought of that ty..it goes from my tank to filter to pump then carb..

That's not a return, it's an intentional vapor lock. Those work on PRESSURE. The pump outputs fuel under pressure, which goes TO the filter, and the pressure forces a small amount of fuel out the return and back to the tank. The return orifice MUST be mounted "up," that is at the top of the filter. Any air/ vapor gathers at the top and is carried out by the orifice

It can be mounted like either of these two photos

318enVkNS5L._AC_UL320_SR180,320_.jpg

41xgTCFhy5L.jpg

NOTE CAREFULLY that this upward mounting is DIFFERENT than the old factory 440/ hemi vapor return cans because they had a "stand pipe" on the orifice connection, placing it on the bottom of the can

Below, this is how the old hemi / 440 can operates, and again THE OPPOSITE of how the Wix operates

334486-1f1bc6f3578417ef20a29e395bc41a50.jpg

vap-sep-good_and_crap_001.jpg

Last edited:
HOW THE HELL DO I REMOVE THE BOTTOM PHOTO WITH THE ANNOYING "NEW IMPROVED" SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not a return, it's an intentional vapor lock. Those work on PRESSURE. The pump outputs fuel under pressure, which goes TO the filter, and the pressure forces a small amount of fuel out the return and back to the tank. The return orifice MUST be mounted "up," that is at the top of the filter. Any air/ vapor gathers at the top and is carried out by the orifice

It can be mounted like either of these two photos

View attachment 1715059857

View attachment 1715059858

NOTE CAREFULLY that this upward mounting is DIFFERENT than the old factory 440/ hemi vapor return cans because they had a "stand pipe" on the orifice connection, placing it on the bottom of the can

Below, this is how the old hemi / 440 can operates, and again THE OPPOSITE of how the Wix operates

View attachment 1715059864

View attachment 1715059859
Ok and the setup should go before the carb correct

Just to add to the confusion here.:D
I ran 2 new 3/8 lines, one from the tank to the filter and pump then to the carb.
The other from the carb inlet back to the return on the tank with a T right at the carb inlet.
The return line that T's off has an orifice it in for enough restriction to give me 6lbs at the carb.
(No special filter, and no regulator needed)
Of course this is just a daily driver, so no real need to compensate fuel pressure changes due to inertia.

My post refers to electric pump set up with a pressure regulator.
Correct on that Wix being a vapor return line.

-
Back