Fuel pressure guage

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys run a cowl or hood mounted mechanical fuel pressure guage? Currently all i run is a small guage on the carb inlet line and want to switch to a cowl mounted guage. The problem is that i really dont want to drill holes in the cowl or try and mount the guage to the hood, or the vent on the cowl. So, my question is, how good are the electric guages with the sender that can be mounted inside the driver compartment? are they worth it? they are pricey! accurate? i already purchased an Auto Meter mechanical, but may send it back and go with an electric.

How many of you guys run a cowl or hood mounted mechanical fuel pressure guage? Currently all i run is a small guage on the carb inlet line and want to switch to a cowl mounted guage. The problem is that i really dont want to drill holes in the cowl or try and mount the guage to the hood, or the vent on the cowl. So, my question is, how good are the electric guages with the sender that can be mounted inside the driver compartment? are they worth it? they are pricey! accurate? i already purchased an Auto Meter mechanical, but may send it back and go with an electric.

I'm sure the electric gauge is good, i've run one, i'm thinking you "can" run a mech. gauge in the car "if" you use hydralic hose with AN fittings, not possitive on that though, I think they make a kit for the mech. for this purpose, I just ran a mech. on the cowl screen, but i do see alot run them on the side of the screen & drill holes, & these cars are VERY nice, now if you ever get a glass hood, you can just mount it there.

Another thing you can do (just hit me) is build a bracket out of aluminum stock & mount the bracket at the firewall towards the top like above the MC area, like in-between the MC & wiper motor, then have it come up & out & mount the gauge on that.

I ran a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the cowl on my last car. I made an L-shaped backing plate that I could slip between the slots in the cowl and mounted the gauge to that. I did it this way so I could hold the backing plate with a pliers and screw the gauge mount to it, isolating the gauge mount with rubber to keep it from tearing up the cowl.

If you run a mechanical inside the passenger compartment, you really should run an isolator like this. Regardless of how good the line is, I wouldn't want to have a fuel line inside the passenger compartment.

This time around, I was planning on using Holley's electric gauge, which seemed pretty cheap compared to Autometer and comes with a sending unit. It's part number 26-503 and I think both Summit and Jeg's carry it.

Thanks guys. I do already have the Auto meter mechanical guage, and did forget about the isolater option. i suppose i could get one of those and run it inside, but i may try the bracket under the cowl if it looks like it wont bend the cowl slots. I cant make a decision, they both have there negatives. inside the car you have to get it through the fire wall, and ive already got enough crap running inside the car, and the cowl mount needs holes in the body or the possibility of bending the cowl.](*,)

I run a electric one in my 65. Works great.

Attachments

• 65%20DODGE%20DASH%20005.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 65DODGEDASH001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 197
i RUN A MECHANICAL GUAGE MOUNTED IN THE HOOD

Attachments

• mini-insurance 013.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 176
I have the holley electric one mentioned in the previous posts, and a mechanical gauge on the regulator under the hood. The one thing I have noticed on my is the electric does not react to changes to lower pressure as the mechanical does immediately. I had some problems with my fuel system, dirt in the filter and such. one day my pressure at idle was moving up,, I reset the regulator and it again moved... finally pressure dropped low, it showed on the mechanical, put still showed the high reading on the electric unit. thats the only weird thing I have noticed, other than that it works great. Im glad I have the 2 units for conformation.

I have an isolator and bracket, but not the fuel line. Make me a decent offer for them, and the ride and it's yours.

Thanks,

Bill S.

I have a near new Mallory Fuel Pressure Isolator – PN #29806, complete with bracket, fittings and a 4' length of braided steel hose. $100 value new will sell for $50 shipped.

-
Back