Fuel problem

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Hey guys I keep running in to this problem almost every other day my 74 duster daily driver acts like its rinningt out of fuel, when it gets really hot out its like the fuel is evaporating inside the carb before it even gets into the intake, and when I punch it I hit aw certain rpm range and it runs out of fuel it's a 2 bbl carb no add Ons of any kind all original , I'll pump the accelerator a hundred times and get no fuel from the jets then out of nowhere I'll get some then be on my way Iraq really annoying and need to get it fixed alswo fuel filter is not clogged either what do you suggest? This keeps making me late to work. Thanks in advance

Hey guys I keep running in to this problem almost every other day my 74 duster daily driver acts like its rinningt out of fuel, when it gets really hot out its like the fuel is evaporating inside the carb before it even gets into the intake, and when I punch it I hit aw certain rpm range and it runs out of fuel it's a 2 bbl carb no add Ons of any kind all original , I'll pump the accelerator a hundred times and get no fuel from the jets then out of nowhere I'll get some then be on my way Iraq really annoying and need to get it fixed alswo fuel filter is not clogged either what do you suggest? This keeps making me late to work. Thanks in advance
try a elecric fuel pump you can allways take it off.double check your coil wires both positive and negitive look for breaks in the insullation make a very big differnce.have you rebuilt the carb?

try a elecric fuel pump you can allways take it off.double check your coil wires both positive and negitive look for breaks in the insullation make a very big differnce.have you rebuilt the carb?

No I have not rebuilt the carb since I've owned the car, all I have done is added dual exhaust , I'm thinking of getting rid of the 2 bbl and dropping a 4 maybe holley 600 on it and a nice little performer intake just for my daily use.i will try an electric pump see if that helps and replace filter. Wats a good electric pump for a all stock motor?

Have you checked for vapor lock? Aeromotive pumps are pretty good, don't know what one though.

No I have not rebuilt the carb since I've owned the car, all I have done is added dual exhaust , I'm thinking of getting rid of the 2 bbl and dropping a 4 maybe holley 600 on it and a nice little performer intake just for my daily use.i will try an electric pump see if that helps and replace filter. Wats a good electric pump for a all stock motor?

if you arent getting an immediate pump shot then the fuel pump is weak or the accelerator pump is shot. it has nothing to do with the coil wires

Yea I think the 4 bbl swap is gonna be coming soon didn't want to really dump money on this car til project 410 4speed was done but gotta do what I gotta do i guess to keep her running right.

Had this very problem this year, Mech fuel pump and hot engine makes for fuel boiling, Put a cool can on and have not had any problems since.

Have you checked that your tank is clean and has no rust, dirt materials floating around inside? I was having the exact same problems. I went through checking or changing everything from the tank to the carb and still had problems. When it was pointed out to check the tank I had trash in there. The sending unit sock would slowly get blocked by this trash therefore limiting fuel flow. It produced the same effects as it was vapor locking. I have a fuel pressure gauage and it would start off with 7.5 psi and while idling would drop to 4 psi. Once engine was shut down the trash would fall from the sock but I fired it up it would start all over again. In my case I installed a new tank and sending unit and have not had the problem since.

-
Back