Fuel pump eccentric

-

RS23VOA

Reaction score
I pulled the intake off the 340 in my 69 Dart Swinger I just bought and the camshaft looked sketchy. I decided after looking at the lobes that I would replace the cam so I pulled the timing chain cover off. The timing chain was overly sketchy and when I pulled it off I noticed that someone in the past had put the oiler bolt in the wrong hole so no oil was spraying onto the timing chain. So needless to say, the cam eccentric has a groove worn in it about 1/16th where the fuel pump arm rides. Should I replace that piece? I hate to spend $50 on a new one if I can get away with this or if anyone has an extra laying around they can hook me up with cheap?

I put the "drip plate" from a later Magnum engine on my 273. You can buy at the dealer. As I recall, it leaves out one bolt. The drilled-thru bolt the factory used can clog w/ gunk, though not a problem once these engines are in our more capable hands.

If you switch to an electric fuel pump, you won't need the eccentric (maybe just for balance), but that has pros and cons.

Got a buddy to turn it on a lathe.......

MP has one with a coating that's supposed to help reduce the wear...

$50 is a lot for that piece.................

I would get the coated one too if it is still available. Also, the oil does not "spray" out of that bolt. It simply drips out of the intake valley onto the drip plate Bill described and onto the timing chain. There should also be a flat round oil slinger in front of the crankshaft gear. If it is missing, you need to put one.

I would get the coated one too if it is still available. Also, the oil does not "spray" out of that bolt. It simply drips out of the intake valley onto the drip plate Bill described and onto the timing chain. There should also be a flat round oil slinger in front of the crankshaft gear. If it is missing, you need to put one.

Yep that is on there.

-
Back