Fuel pump mounting advice

-

Old Country

Reaction score
Advice & pics if possible:
Car: 1972 Duster, 408 Stroker, solid cam, six-pack (450+ hp)

Situation: I'm completely replacing/updating my fuel supply setup...ie: trashing stock 5/16" lines, Holley Black pump, dead-head Holley Reg to 5/16" lines to the six-pack. Pump is LOUD, mounted all wrong (above the tank & horizontal)... the entire system is chocked, and robbing power. This is how I bought this project.

Upgrade: Installing new Mallory Comp 140 pump, moving to 3/8" lines, 3/8" tank pickup, good fittings (no brass crap), Bypass Reg with a 3/8" return line, 3/8" to the carbs....plus a filter before the pump and an in-line filter between the Reg & the carbs. (this is a street car with sub 500 hp)

QUESTION: I know the pump must be mounted vertically, and BELOW the fuel source ala gravity feed to the pump...but I'll be danged if I can see a way or place to mount it without the rearend possibly contacting it or the exhaust cooking it AND the canister filter setup..... all very tight between that rear & tank face (stock tank). >>> H E L P !!!

I'm no rookie to the car dance we all enjoy... but have not had such a tight area to deal with before. Obviously loads of you guys have done this on a Duster... could you please share what you did, how you mounted the filter & pump and (if onhand) share pics...? Whatever you share would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reviewing numerous threads in FABO, and other muscle car sites, I decided the Mallory Comp 140 is the best fit for my needs. I queried FABO a number of days ago on replacement pump 'advice' (post is still here) and was bascially ignored, which surprised me :angry3:

Here's hoping I find some kindred spirits this time willing to help on this one, cuz folks I'm pretty stuck. :scratch:

On my dad's Dart we mounted the fuel pump and filter to the floor above the rear end. Worked fine and that was a 640 horse small block.

Did you install a rear sump in your stock tank, so your pump gan be gravity fed?
I installed my pump on the rear frame rail behind the spring shackel.

Don't know if you figured this out but I mounted mine to the frame rail in front of right rear tire. If you want to see pic's I can get some. I drilled small hole for wiring through the floor under the back seat and ran wiring inside throught the fire wall. Works great.

For noise reduction sandwich the mounting bracket between two old pieces of tire.

I'm about to install an elec. Pump myself, sounds like a good spot, Dustedu2. Could we see your pics ?

Here's some pic's underside. I drilled hole right above and ran wire under the rear seat. Grounded to the floor and ran Positive under door sill plate. Also fused it under the seat. It is out now as I am cleaning the underside to paint and get rid of green over spray. Let me know if you have any questions. I am also running stainless hose from the New Holley Black pump to the carb and will attach to the frame rail connectors I just put in yesterday, (not welded yet, bolted first to get into position).

Attachments

• 2011-02-12 15.32.33.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 2011-02-12 15.32.59.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 2011-02-12 15.33.05.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 250
Thanks for the idea and the pics. Dustedu2, multiple pics tell the whole story. I'll have to see what I can do, my pump may be too big, hope not !

You might want to put some rubber behind your mount, to deaden the sound, I was going to use a piece of old tire.

Hi all, Been a while since I looked at this, thanks for the responses.

As for my project: I purchased a new Mallory Comp 140 off Ebay ($150). I'm also upgrading/replacing all fuel lines to 3/8". The thing I've really been stuck on is the continual chant of; "must be mounted vertically, at or below the fuel source". For a Duster, that's a tough pill, because the stock tank already sits low (not sumped), and is very close to the rear-end. I was thinking of squeezing it between the tank & the rear, up against the tank on the left front, and it would have been ok with about 2" to spare ...as long as it didn't move... but damn tight! In this location, the pump inlet/outlet would be level with the bottom of the tank, thus easily getting proper feed.

Having said that; I've decided to attach a mount-plate on the left frame behind the wheel well, basically beside the forwadr front of the tank-side. This affords plenty of room, proepr gravity feed, and no fire danger. Due to this decision, I am now committed to running very short muffle pipes that will end just after they loop over the axles.

I'll attach before and after pic's once it's all together.
Thx all ~

Don't know if you figured this out but I mounted mine to the frame rail in front of right rear tire. If you want to see pic's I can get some. I drilled small hole for wiring through the floor under the back seat and ran wiring inside throught the fire wall. Works great.

+1 here. Passed my wiring through an existing body plug.

Here's some pic's underside. I drilled hole right above and ran wire under the rear seat. Grounded to the floor and ran Positive under door sill plate. Also fused it under the seat. It is out now as I am cleaning the underside to paint and get rid of green over spray. Let me know if you have any questions. I am also running stainless hose from the New Holley Black pump to the carb and will attach to the frame rail connectors I just put in yesterday, (not welded yet, bolted first to get into position).
I think that I would have not put my fuel pump that close to your exhaust. I have mine mounted right under my fuel cell. Anyways sitting at an idle in traffic IMO I think you may encounter fuel problems. Braided stainless steel lines are defiently the way to go.

Your best bet IMO is mount it on the rear bumper support rail, Run a cell that sits high in the trunk, this way it can gravity feed right to the pump.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 117.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 059.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 170
-
Back