fuel sending unit

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
i gota new fuel sending unit from mancini racing a while back when do my upgrade on the car. the gauge in the car is reading 1/4 when we have a half a tank of gas so i took the sending unit out to test. when it reads full it reads 8.7 ohms and when full it reads 84ohms.. these numbers are off from what the ohms should be so does that mean the unit is bad?

There are many threads on here about the aftermarket fuel sending units. None of them read correctly for mopars. I have been through this myself.

i bent the arm so it would read 1/8 of a tank when i have 1/4 tank.. that way i have a 1/8 once it hits E

Try Meter Match, this handy vice lets you calibrate your sender to the gauge. It really helped me get the gauge very close to accurate. Just google Meter match.

hi Mr. FT, I also have bought the Meter Match but have not installed it , was it hard to get the setting correct for an empty tank and full tank? how did you do that ?

22dog22, How I did it was a little work. Knowing my tank was 16 gal. I ran it down to about 1/2 tank, then pulled the gas line off the sending unit. I hooked an elect. pump to the sending unit and pumped the last 8 gal. or so out. The reason I did it that way was to know when the car would actually run out of gas. Then I hooked the gas line back up and added 1 gal. of gas and set that as empty on the gauge (kind of a reserve). I then added 4 Gal. and set it to 1/4 tank, then 8 more gal. and set that to 3/4 tank, then I filled it @3 gal more and set that as the full setting. I then saved the settings and it was as close as I was going to get it.
I also mounted the unit behind the drivers side front kick panel for easy access in case I had to fine tune it at all. Hope this helps!

thanks, that's about what I thought to do, they say you should try to get a least 3 points of measurements for the best accuracy

Glad to help, I used all 4 points but that's just me, good luck and let me know how you make out.

Tom

Hi Tom, spent Monday July 3rd working in installing the Meter Match, I did what you did , I drained the tank with a manual hand pump [had about 3/4 tank of gas] put 1 gal back in, set the Meter Match to #4 and set that as the low/empty spot, then put in 4 gallons more then tried to set that point, the gauge would not move off of the empty set point I tried the up and down buttons but the gauge would not move, when I power up the car the gas needle will move up to the empty mark added more fuel tried it with the next number on the unit nothing happened, then I just filled the tank, and still nothing could not get gauge to move !!, I check all wiring, and then just replaced the wiring from the unit to the sending unit in the tank , all parts are new, sending unit, the gauge is a new VDO unit, I contacted the company Meter Match, Brian thinks the unit may be bad, so he is shipping me a new unit, I hope that works, if not I am not sure what to try next other then take out the sending unit from the tank and test it to sure it is working [check ohms]

Thats pretty cool. Suppose you could wire 2 variable resistors together and set the low and high values...KitCarlson, help me out here....?

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad unit. I talked to a local guy that was having a similar issue. He told me he had to fill the tank and work backwards from there. Taking out 4 gal then set 3/4 tank ect. Didn't make sense to me but it worked for him. Brian is a stand up guy he will help you through it.
Best of luck and let me know how you make out or if I can help.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I will wait till I receive the new unit and see what happens, if it does not work I may try the way your friend got it to work

Dave

-
Back