Fuel Tank Condition

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I had my tank out of the car, I had it boiled out by a radiator shop. I looked into my freshly boiled tank and noticed that there is a film of red (rust) on the upper surfaces of the tank. Do I put this tank back in the car, or is it shot. Other than the film of red over the metal surface, the tank is clean.

How clean do you get the inside of the tank? Since any tank in a junkyard will have the same reaction from boiling, if I get a tank from one of the salvage yards I will have the same problems.

Thanx for your input!

I recently replaced the gas tank on my car with a new one. I thought it was a good investment for piece of mind driving. They can be found new for around $200. I wouldn't mess around with an old tank, just my thought.

I'm begining to toss that idea around. I'm also curious about fuel cells. Where did you get your tank?

Go buy a gallon of Evaporust and swish it around in the tank, it costs about $20. You can reuse it after you are done for derusting other things.

100_0999.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_1101.jpg

100_0999.jpg

100_0999.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_1101.jpg

100_1101.jpg

Autozone, O'Reiley's, and Harbor freight sells it. You can also get it cheaper from mail order if buying larger quantities like 5 gallons, but for small amounts, the shipping will kill you. THe best price I found was Harbor Freight at $20/gal.

Rust removers like that are great for certain applications, but tank insides are not one of them. Gas tank repair is not usually a cost-effective solution and some of the remedies may even cause more problems, like the coating coming off later and completely clogging it up. Price of a new tank is well worth it and a much more permanent solution.

I'm begining to toss that idea around. I'm also curious about fuel cells. Where did you get your tank?

I got mine in Canada. You can get them at Mancini Racing. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/abody.html

I think most of the bigger Mopar suppliers (restoration) should have them. You might even luck out & get one from a dealer (old stock). They were available over the counter a couple years ago.

Thanx for all the good advice! I'm kinda on the fence but tipping toward the new tank!

-
Back