Fuel tank vent.

-

H8z2luze

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm bored and want to annoy you guys. The stock tank vent... What do you do with it? Mine was plugged so I thought about just running a line out behind the bumper with a axle housing type vent on it. Not sure if that's a great idea though since the exhaust is pointed that direction... So I'm curious what you guys do with it?

The one on my 74 Duster was crap rotted. I ran the thing off the sender, up through the trunk, into the top or rear 1/4, then back into a bung I drilled into the filler. Works like a charm. In other words, I duplicated the older style

@Ironracer, the sender is under fuel at times. There is a chance with a very full tank and a hot day that a syphon could start untill the fuel level drops.

The factory vent on older models is on the highest point of the filler neck, it then goes up an inch or two then follows down the filler neck till it ends in the rear frame rail.

The tank would have to be fuller than the fuel cap or the car leaning to the left side significantly to have a syphon start.

@Ironracer, the sender is under fuel at times. There is a chance with a very full tank and a hot day that a syphon could start untill the fuel level drops.

The factory vent on older models is on the highest point of the filler neck, it then goes up an inch or two then follows down the filler neck till it ends in the rear frame rail.

The tank would have to be fuller than the fuel cap or the car leaning to the left side significantly to have a syphon start.
That's how I did it, there is a several inch rise out the filler, up, and then down. I also kinda followed my Bros 71 Challenger set up. I'll run out and get a picture. Hopefully it's Correct! Before the current BS, I Have had her full a few times... Good Call!

I'm in Tampa FL, it Hot 9 months outta the year here. What do you think? Did I screw it up? I ended up with an extra dump when I went w/ a 3/8" sending unit to match the 3/8 fuel line.

20220612_233038.jpg

20220612_232920.jpg

20220612_232952.jpg

Sorry. It's a 72 Duster not sure what the previous owner did or if these come with canisters or anything. It's just a open metal line on the passenger side fender well in the engine bay.
Lol, that's how I found mine, but it was a crimped rotted mess. Don't know about a 72, but the 74 had a can

Lol, that's how I found mine, but it was a crimped rotted mess
Haha this one was plugged with who knows what. But I'm putting in a new tank and sender so I was thinking about just plugging it off and getting a cap that vents. Idk how well that would work.

Haha this one was plugged with who knows what. But I'm putting in a new tank and sender so I was thinking about just plugging it off and getting a cap that vents. Idk how well that would work.
Well, I Think, I looked into that (I did the tank and sender at the same time, along w/ the 3/8" line. For some reason, I did the vent line. CRSS won't let me remember.... lol

Others will chime in...

At some point canisters were added. the line in the engine compartment is a vapor return line.

You will have to determin where it goes now.

Some 70s tanks have multiple nipples on them.

The 60s tanks only had the vent on the filler neck, and it ends in the rear frame rail.

Screenshot_20220612-220041.png

Others will chime in...

At some point canisters were added. the line in the engine compartment is a vapor return line.

Some 70s tanks have multiple nipples on them.

The 60s tanks only had the vent on the filler neck, and it ends in the rear frame rail.

View attachment 1715941408
Ah. Well that line in the engine bay was attached to the sender.

Others will chime in...

The 70s tanks have multiple nipples on them.

View attachment 1715941408
Yep, but that neck Will not work for a Duster, or that was my belief when i got into it. It been over 2 years. Think the filler itself is different

The one on my 74 Duster was crap rotted. I ran the thing off the sender, up through the trunk, into the top or rear 1/4, then back into a bung I drilled into the filler. Works like a charm. In other words, I duplicated the older style

If you hooked up one end of the tube to the sender extra port, and to the filler neck port you do not have a vent. Either you have a vented gas cap or there is another opening in the tank somewhere.

If you hooked up one end of the tube to the sender extra port, and to the filler neck port you do not have a vent. Either you have a vented gas cap or there is another opening in the tank somewhere.
Yep, plugged the high out on the sender, used the tank bung to plumb outta. It was on/ near the top of the tank.. I'd go get a pic, for reference, but I just got outta the shower. Now I Remember though, the Tank had the Lil nipple that had to be dealt with.

Now there is a way you can use that return line to the sender from the engine compartment....

There is a 3 port fuel filter that is designed to redce vapors in the fuel. (to reduce vapor lock)
Another use would be to put a return line pressure regulator to help with the same.

BUT...Be sure the return line goes directly to the extra port on the sender.

Now there is a way you can use that return line to the sender from the engine compartment....

There is a 3 port fuel filter that is designed to redce vapors in the fuel. (to reduce vapor lock)
Another use would be to put a return line pressure regulator to help with the same.

Please don't take this as an argument, but I've lived in FL all my life. I've Never had vaporlock. Maybe the Summer blend is different here?

The large tube is the fuel pickup.

The smaller one is a fuel return.

The capped tube in the engi e compartment is most likely attached to the return.

Screenshot_20220612-221749.png

Please don't take this as an argument, but I've lived in FL all my life. I've Never had vaporlock. Maybe the Summer blend is different here?

I'm in Colorado, I don't get vapor lock either, but I do get vapor from the alcohol in the fuel, to the point the engine will fuel starve at times. My solution was to run alcohol free fuel, no more problem.

I've read Alot of Good things about the 3 way Wix Filters here..

-
Back