Fuel Tank

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Well, I finally picked up my Scamp, after towing it home cause it had no brakes, but thats another story.

I went to the gas station this morning before work and put 5 gallons in it only, luckily.

turns out the tank is leaking.

Does anyone know if it just has a gasket and the 3/4 turn captive clamp or what ever it is called? I replace the tank once in my B Body once, just wondering if it is the same>

If memory serves, there is a large rubber ring around the fill tube. The sending unit locking ring also has a heavy o-ring to seal it. The sending unit seals generally just don't start leaking until someone messes with them. The filler seal could dry rot and crack, though, but I think the tank has to be pretty full or the car has to take a quick turn to the right to slosh the fuel to that side.

Yeah i hate those locking ring gaskets. I had to mess with my Satellite tank a few times before it quit leaking. Now i gotta run in outn of gas before i check it, cause i am to lazy to siphon it out,lol.

On My satellite i finally got it sealed by putting some vaseline on the two sides of the gasket, turns out it kept bunching up when you turned the locking ring.

i was just going to mention the vaseline trick.. but looks like im a little late. :toothy7:

Hey Guys, My Tank Was Leaking When I Put Enough Gas In It Too. I Also Thought That The Seal Was Bad. I Dropped The Tank To Repaint It, Clean It Out And Replace The Seal And I Found Out I Had A Tiny Hole On The Top Half Of The Tank Right Above The Weld. It Was An Easy Enough Fix With Some J.b. Weld; But Ya Just Never Know Until You Drop It And Look.

-
Back